The Aftermath

Bahja woke up in Zonnique’s bed with a headache out of this world. Her head was pounding so hard and the sunlight coming from the blinds made it even worse. She covered her eyes as she tried to set herself up, not recognizing where she was for a second. As her eyes readapted to the light, she had the instant urge the throw up. She ran into the bathroom and relieved it all out in the toilet. Someone then walked in….

She lifted her head up and saw Roc handing her a glass of water. “Yeah, I figured that would happen.” He said as she took the glass and slowly sipped on the water. “Ugh, I feel like I’m about to die. I’m never drinkin again.” Bahja said taking another sip of water. It was cold and refreshing, making her stomach settle a little. “I heard you was turnt up last night.” Roc laughed. “Wait a minute, where were you?! I was callin you all yesterday.” Bahja said remembering that he was nowhere to be found. “Babe, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” Roc said shaking his head. “Well, I’m listening…” “You know yesterday morning I was goin to re-up right? Well we rode with Big Mike peoples and they set us up babe, they robbed us. Them niggas pointed a gun to my head man I swear I thought we was gonna die forreal.” Bahja noticed his clothes were ripped so she figured he was telling the truth. She was still angry though. “You lucky my head is killin me right now or I would cuss you out. I told you to leave that stuff alone. It seems like you won’t be satisfied until you ARE dead.” Bahja said holding on to her head. “I know, I think ima chill for a while.” “Yeah you better chill. I don’t know what I would do if something happened to you boy. I’m glad you’re ok though.” She said. “I know, I know…” Roc said lifting Bahja up and taking her back to Zonnique’s bed.

“Where Zonnique at?” Bahja asked. Roc looked like he didn’t want to tell her, which made Bahja begin to worry. “Where she at?! Is she ok?” She demanded an answer. He took a deep breath. “Last night the cops shut the party down and they locked Zonnique up for underage drinking, since it was her house and all.” “WHAT?! Nique is in jail?!” Bahja shouted forgetting about her bulging headache. “Calm down, I don‘t think they took her to jail she a minor. No doubt her parents know about it though. They prolly on their way back to get her now.” Roc said. “Oh my god, this party turned out to be a disaster. Exactly what we didn’t want to happen, happened. I wonder why and how the cops came though?” Bahja questioned. “I don’t know…” Roc lied. He knew why the cops showed up but he wanted to protect Ray. Not just from Bahja, but if word got out that Ray was the reason the cops showed up, shut the party down, AND got Zonnique arrested …everybody would be at Ray’s neck.

“Ok this is my last question cause I don’t remember the cops coming. Where was I when this happened?” Roc then had this angry look on his face before he explained to her. “Yeah, so Ray ended up coming to get me. When we got there we saw them arresting Zonnique. I’m lookin for you makin sure you good and I see you in the car with some dude about to pull off …I WAS HEATED! I went over there and pulled you out the car. I swear I was about to beat this nigga ass but the cops was still out there, so I just got you and walked off. Then you tried to fight me I could barely control you.” Bahja was in shock hearing this because she couldn’t remember a thing. “I’m so sorry Roc. I can’t give you all the details but you know that’s not like me. I wouldn’t just get in the car with some random dude.” Bahja said. “Yeah just be lucky I showed up when I did. Anything coulda happened to you. Don‘t ever drink that much again.” Bahja had no words for her actions. “….but anyway, after that I tried to get the cops to let Zonnique go but it had to be her parents, so after they left I took you inside and laid you on her bed. Then this morning I got up and cleaned the house.”

“Wow, Roc I swear I wouldn’t know what to do without you. I’m glad you came and saved me, then cleaned up Zonnique house all by yoself …you didn’t have to do that.” Bahja said. “Zonnique been through enough that was the least I could do …and you know ima always be there for you.” “I have the best guy ever. You’re nothing like them other boys, I love you.” “I love you too.” Roc kissed Bahja on her forehead. “Now uhh let’s go before Zonnique mama and daddy get here and kill us.” Roc said. “Alright just let me get myself together first. I just hope my Nique Nique is ok….”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zonnique sat in the police station still in her party dress, crying her eyes out at the fact that she had spent the whole night there. Luckily, they didn’t actually take her to a juvenile jail. She wondered what was going to happen to her. Not with the cops but with her parents. They were on there way and she knew they’d be beyond disappointed and angry with her. All she kept thinking was why? Why did this have to happen and ruin her night? Why couldn’t they just have shut the party down and leave? Why did she even throw the party in the first place? So many thoughts ran across her mind as the busy police station went about its morning routine.

She saw her parents walk through the door and immediately put her head down. She then wanted to stay there, not prepared to face them. They stayed at the front desk filling out papers and talking before they could get to Zonnique. Her dad just looked over at her with a blank expression which made Zonnique even more scared. Finally, they released her and she was free to go home.

“Thank you, officer.” Zonnique’s mom said to the cop at the front desk as the three walked out to the car. The car ride home her mom went on and on about how irresponsible she was. Zonnique felt so ashamed that her parents now had this bad perception of her. Up until now she was a good girl who rarely got into trouble, let alone get arrested. As her mom went off in the car, her dad just drove not saying a word. Zonnique could only imagine what was going through his head, but she would soon find out once they got home. 

Once they pulled up in their driveway Zonnique noticed Ray sitting on his porch across the street. She stared at him from the backseat and he stood up and searched to see if Zonnique was in the car. That was his whole purpose of being outside, to see when she was coming home and if she was alright. He felt so guilty ever since last night when he saw her in handcuffs. Of course Ray still has feelings for Zonnique so he didn’t expect it to go as far as her getting arrested. He was upset and he realized that his emotions can get the best of him sometimes. Now with a clear head, he eagerly wanted to go over and talk to her but knew it wasn’t the right time for it.

Zonnique and her parents walked in to a spotless house. She wondered who cleaned up but nobody was there. “It sure don‘t look like a party went on in here.” Her mom said putting her things down. She seemed like she had pretty much calmed down from the situation but Zonnique‘s dad didn‘t. He turned around and faced Zonnique before she could go upstairs. She looked at him in fear knowing he was about to speak. “I want you to go upstairs, pack some stuff, and get out of my house.” He said with a straight face. “Tip!” Her mom turned to him. “What? For throwing a party I get kicked out?!” Zonnique asked confused. “It’s not only the fact that you threw a party in my house, but the fact that you had teenagers drinking alcohol in my house, including yourself. It’s the fact that me and yo mama trusted you to stay home by yourself and you went behind our back and pulled some shit like this! And THEN you went and got arrested! We had to come home and get you like you some kind of criminal. This ain’t the daughter we raised ....so since you wanna throw parties like an adult and you wanna drink like an adult, you can be an adult and get out my house.” 

Tears instantly started to fall from Zonnique’s eyes. She looked at her mom, hoping she would try to stop him but she didn’t say anything. She grabbed her car keys and ran out of the door. Ray was still outside and noticed her crying. He ran over to her before she could get in the car.

“Zonnique what’s wrong?” He asked still running up to her. “My parents put me out ...I hope you happy!” She said wiping her face as more tears fell. “Why would I be happy?” He asked hoping she didn’t know he was the one who called the cops. “It was probably you and Prod fighting outside that made the cops come and messed everything up.” Ray saw how hurt she was, he wanted to tell the truth but what good was that gonna do. “Look, Zonnique I--” “I don’t wanna hear it right now Ray, I really don’t!” She said closing the car door and pulling off.

Ray watched her car go up the street and all he could do was tear up. He hated his self for causing the girl he cared about the most so much pain. He scrunched his face up trying to be a man and stop the tears but he couldn’t. All he wanted was to be with Zonnique and make her happy, but now neither one of those things seemed to be working out.