I Want it All Back

Prodigy took a deep breath, being extra careful as to what he said to Zonnique.
“I miss you so much. Baby, I-”
“I’m not your baby!” Zonnique stopped him. She was already getting furious just thinking about what he did to her…and just looking at him made it even worse. He stopped talking for a second and got his thoughts together, taking off his shades making sure she saw the hurt in his eyes.

“Look, I haven’t had a chance to tell you in person but if you got any of my texts or voicemails you’d know that I’m sorry and I never meant to hurt you. I love you more than you’ll even know. That chick meant nothing to me!”
“Then why did you kiss her? You never meant to hurt me but you did! And what’s even worse is that I had to hear it from somebody else, not you! ”
“Come on Zonnique can we please get pass this! I don‘t want her, I don‘t want any other girl, I want you! It was a mistake that I apologized for so many times. My whole summer been miserable as hell without you and I don‘t know what to do with myself. And as far as somebody else telling you, I was going to but I had to get myself together. As soon as it happened I knew it was wrong so I was all messed up. I just want things to go back to the way they were with me and you.”
“I honestly don’t think it can. My trust was betrayed by the last person I thought would ever betray it. Think about that, think about how much we’ve been through and for you to just throw it all away like that?! See, I was determined on having a good day but you wanna pull me aside for what?! To bring this up when I’m trying to get over you?!”
“But I don’t want you to get over me. I don’t know if you need me but I know for sure that I need you and I’m not gonna let you go that easy. I didn’t throw our love away, it was a mistake! A mistake that I’ve regretted ever since it happened. Please….can you just hear me out?”
“Prodigy, remember what you told me when we first started going out? You promised to always love me, protect me, and never betray me. What you did was so far from those promises you made me and I don‘t know if I can ever forgive you, I really don‘t. I think it‘s best that we both just move on.”

Prodigy was at a loss for words. There was so much hurt and betrayal in her eyes and it killed him inside knowing he caused it. “I--I’m sorry…” is all that he could squeeze out. He thought about saying ‘it was just a kiss’ but he knew that wouldn’t help his argument. Zonnique couldn’t take anymore of this conversation….she was on the verge on tears. You could see her eyes getting glossy and she didn‘t want to cry in front of him. “Yeah, I know you’re sorry….but it’s not enough. I’m gonna be late for class…..” She said as her voice began to crack. She cleared her throat and walked off while Prodigy just stood there lost. It seemed like he was about to cry too. He really loves Zonnique and he knows she feels the same about him, but that one mistake messed up his life.

Prodigy is the laidback type but he’s very outgoing, not after Zonnique broke up with him though. He was depressed that whole summer; he didn‘t wanna go out with his friends or anything. After going through that he was set on getting Zonnique’s forgiveness, but it just didn’t work out. Going to school wasn’t even an option for him….he didn’t feel like being around anybody. After watching Zonnique go into the building, he scoped out the area to see if anybody was around to see him walking away from school. He then pulled out his iPod and ironically All Back by his favorite artist Chris Brown was playing. Letting the music drown out the world, he walked down the road heading for his house as memories of him and Zonnique filled his head…..one in particular.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*FLASHBACK*

2 years ago Prodigy was new to TJ and at the time he had only made one friend, Ray Ray. They were sitting in the back of class, Ray Ray causing trouble as usual, when the most beautiful girl Prodigy had ever seen walked in the room. Her silky hair bounced as she walked to her seat. She held a green binder with pictures of her and her friends all on the front in one arm and a Louis Vuitton purse in the other. Prodigy’s whole world stopped. He couldn’t believe his eyes. Ray Ray was talking to him but he didn’t hear a word he was saying. Prodigy had just broken up with his girlfriend Brianna because he had to leave his old school and didn’t want to have a long distance relationship, but it was nothing serious anyway. And any memory he had of her went out the window as soon as he laid eyes on this girl.

“Prodigy?! Prodigy?!” He snapped out of his trance when Ray Ray called him and punched him in the arm. “Huh…what happened?” He said still dazed and confused. “N*gga, you ain’t hear nothing I said! I asked what was your real name again? and where did Prodigy come from?” “Oooh, my bad. Well my real name is Craig but my family been calling me Prodigy ever since I was little because I love to dance.” “Oh ok, cool. I dance too! Krumping mostly…” “Word? That’s wassup! I don’t even be meeting that many dancers like me. But ay, who is that girl right there?” Prodigy pointed to the girl he was just mesmerized by, determined to learn her name. Ray Ray followed his finger to see who he was talking about. “Maaan that’s Zonnique, she bad af right?” Then Ray Ray yelled. “Ay Nique! Waddup girl?!” She turned around, then he did the cool nod and smiled. She waved back but looked at him like ‘n*gga don’t be yelling my name like that.’ Then she looked at Prodigy and smiled. He waved and smiled back. “Bro you corny! You can’t be waving at girls like that. You gotta give em the nod like…. *in a deep voice* ‘yeah baby wassup’ see you gotta be smooth with it.” Prodigy laughed. “Man whateva you crazy.” Ray Ray continued talking while Prodigy just stared at the back on Zonnique’s head. He did that for the majority of the class.

Finally, the lunch bell rang. “It’s lunchtime….TACOOOOS! Leggo!” Ray Ray shouted out as he put his books in his Domo backpack rapidly. “Dang, you must like tacos huh?” Ray Ray looked at him like he was crazy. “Like? Tacos is my life! And they only serve em on Tuesdays haha you coming?” Prodigy looked at Zonnique as she was laughing with one of her friends. “Nah, man ima catch up witchu in the cafeteria.” “Aight don’t miss out on the tacos!” Ray Ray walked out of class and Prodigy patiently waited for Zonnique to be alone so he could approach her. “Haha bye girl I’ll see you at practice…” Zonnique waved bye to her friend and picked up her things to head out of the door. By that time the classroom was completely empty except for them two. Prodigy walked up to her. “Zonnique?” He said. She was slightly taller than him but he liked it. He was so intrigued by her eyes, her style, and she even smelled good too. She looked at him and smiled. “Oh, hey! Aren’t you new? How do you know my name?” Prodigy nervously rubs the back of his head and shrugged. “Uhh I don’t know, I‘ve just been hearing it here and there…I guess you that popular.” They both laughed, then there was an awkward pause. “Oh! My name is Prodigy.” “What is that like a nickname or something?” “Yeah I can’t let you know my real name tho, it’s a secret.” He smiled; she giggled and rolled her eyes. “Well, nice to meet you Prodigy and welcome to TJ. If you need to know anything about this school just ask me, I gotchu. And I see you were sitting by Ray Ray in class, don‘t let that fool get you into any trouble.” Zonnique’s phone then vibrates. It was a text message. “Aww man I gotta go…but don’t forget what I told you ok?!” She said rushing out of the door, but Prodigy stopped her. “Hey, wait….you think I could hit you up sometime?” Prodigy asked hesitantly. She paused for a second putting whatever she was going to do on hold. He looked at her waiting for an answer. “Sure.” Zonnique blushed.  “How bout you just give me your number and I’ll text you?” She already had her phone out so he gave her his number and she went off.

Prodigy was cheesing from ear to ear in that classroom by himself. He didn’t know what it was about Zonnique but she was everything he wanted in a girl. He then walked out of the classroom on cloud 9, anxiously waiting to get that text. On his way to meet Ray Ray in the cafeteria he thought to himself… “That girl is amazing. So beautiful and nice, I gotta make her mine…...”