Chapter 48

The next day, after lunch, Sméagol decided to take a trip to our local superstore. This was his first time shopping alone, but he knew where the store was. It was only a couple blocks away, so he walked there. When he arrived, he headed over to the electronics to buy some blank CDs. Then, he headed for the office supply section to buy some ink pens and CD envelopes. While he was there, he spotted packs of pink and red, heart shaped notecards. He grabbed a few packs, and as he was about to head for the food and grocery section, he saw a little girl and her mother in the toy section. The little girl was looking at a specific Barbie doll with a gleam in her eyes.

"Mommy, can I get this one, please?" she asked politely.

"Sweetie, Mommy can't afford it," the mother said sadly.

"But, it's only $10."

"I know, Sweetie, but I don't have much money. Gotta use it to buy dinner for us. Maybe next time."

The little girl's expression changed from joy to sadness.

"I'm sorry, Baby."

As they headed for the grocery section, Sméagol sneaked into the toy section. He grabbed the Barbie doll off the shelf. Then, he headed for the groceries to buy some food.

As he stood in the checkout line, he saw the same little girl and her mother paying for their groceries.

"Mommy, may I please have some skittles?" the little girl asked. "They're only $0.60."

"I'm sorry, Sweetie," the mom said sadly. "I only have $0.30 left."

The little girl was even sadder. First, she couldn't have a new doll, and now, no candy. However, she didn't say anything. Somehow, she understood.

As they finished paying for their food, Sméagol grabbed two packs of skittles, and placed them on top of his items.

The cashier rang up all his items. "That'll be $46.53," she said.

Sméagol handed her the $100 bill from the check he'd received from the nursing home. Hayley cashed it for him.

The cashier handed him back the leftover cash, but he left the loose change.

"Uh, sir, you left your $0.47."

"Keep it," Sméagol said warmly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Sméagol sure."

The cashier smiled. "Thank you, sir. You have a blessed day."

"Bless you, nice lady."

Sméagol grabbed the bags containing the items he purchased, including the skittles and the doll. He quickly took those items out of the bag, and hurried out of the store. He found the mother and daughter loading their few groceries into the trunk of a beat up car. "Excuse me," he said politely.

"Can I help you, sir?" asked the mother.

"Sméagol has presentses for little girl." He handed the little girl the doll.

The little girl's eyes lit up again.

"And..." He also handed her a bag of skittles. "Here you go, Precious."

"Thank you, Mister," the little girl said with the brightest smile.

"Awww, you are too kind," said the mother, "but are you sure?"

"Oh, yes. Sméagol buys it just for her." Then, he handed the mother the other pack of skittles. "And, for you."

The mother's eyes filled with tears. "Thank you so much, sir! I felt so bad that I couldn't even buy my little girl a doll, much less a pack of skittles."

"Don't feel bad, nice lady. You works very hard. Only can do the best you can for your family."

"But... why did you do this for us?"

"Sméagol just wants everybody to be happy."

"Aww, bless your heart." The mother hugged Sméagol. "You are a good man, Sméagol."

"Awww, and you are a very good mother."

"Um, Mr. Sméagol?" said the little girl. "Can I give you a hug, too?"

"Awwww, of course! Come here, Precious!" Sméagol bent down, and picked the little girl up in his arms.

"You're a really nice man. Thank you for the Barbie and the candy."

"Awwww, you're welcome, Sweetie. Here, Sméagol help you get in the car."

"She likes to sit behind me," said the mother.

The mother watched as Sméagol opened the door behind the driver's seat, and helped the little girl in. He even put on her seatbelt for her. "Here you go, Precious. Sméagol wants you to be safe."

"Thank you, Mr. Sméagol," the little girl said graciously.

"Awww, very welcome you are, beautiful girl." Sméagol planted a kiss on her forehead. "Bless you, Sweetie." Then, he carefully closed the car door.

"Thank you, Sméagol," said the mother. "Things have been so tough lately. My husband's fightin' lung cancer, and I recently lost my job. I'm workin' at a diner 'til I can find a better job. Doesn't pay much, though. I'm tryna pay my husband's medical bills, but I can barely afford to buy food."

Sméagol's heart broke, and tears formed in his eyes. "Oh, bless your hearts. Sméagol so sorry." He reached in his bags, pulled out his wallet, and handed the lady his leftover $53.

"Oh, no, Sweetie, you keep that for yourself."

"No. I don't needs it."

"I can't take your money."

"Please. Not much it is, but Sméagol wants you to have it, Precious. Please... takes it."

The lady hesitantly took the cash. "Alright, but I promise I'll pay you back."

Sméagol smiled sweetly. "No need, nice lady. You already have. Sméagol paying you back for your gift."

"My gift?" the lady inquired, confused.

"Yes. Your smile and your daughter's smile, they are best gifts Sméagol could ask for. It's all Sméagol wants, to make people happy. Nothing else Sméagol wants in return."

The lady broke down sobbing, and gave Sméagol another hug. "Can you do one more thing for us, please?"

"Anything."

"The doctors say my husband might only have a year left to live. Will you please pray for him? My baby girl, she loves her daddy so much, and he is the love of my life. Will you please pray for a miracle?"

Sméagol held the lady close. "Of course, I will, Precious," he sniffled. "Sméagol pray for all of you."

"Thank you, Sméagol. You are a good man."

Sméagol gently caressed the lady's head. "Shhh, it'll be alright, precious lady," he said sweetly. "It'll all be alright. Sméagol knows."

"God bless you."

"Awwww, God bless you. God bless you and your beautiful daughter and your precious husband."