Chapter 13

Things were rough for a while. It was so hard not to talk to Logan, but it was too painful to talk to him. I wanted to call him up, but at the same time, hearing his voice would only hurt more. He did text me a couple times to ask how I was doing. I didn't respond to them. He called me once, but I ignored it. Part of me wished I answered it, but I knew I couldn't.

That Tuesday, during choir rehearsal, just before he was about to sing his solo, Hayley led me out of the room, and took me to the bathroom. Thankfully, I could not hear him from the bathroom. I stayed inside one of the stalls, until Hayley was sure it was over. Then, she led me back to the choir room.

At the end of rehearsal, Hayley went to talk to Lucy. Meanwhile, I wanted to get out in a hurry before he had a chance to talk to me, but I accidentally picked up my purse the wrong way, causing a few things to fall out. "Crap," I growled as I got down on my knees, and put everything away as fast as I could. "Where's my lipstick?" I mumbled as I felt all over for it, panicking.

"Here you go," said one of the choir members, a fellow soprano, handing me my lipstick.

"Oh, thank you," I said, relieved, as I dropped it into my purse.

"You didn't try out for any solos this time?" she inquired.

"Nope," I said hastily, grabbing my purse, and hanging it over my shoulder.

"How come?"

Oh, hell no, I thought. Please no conversations. I wanna get the hell outta here before Logan comes over. "Long story," I said.

"I have time."

"I kinda have to go, actually."

"Oh, okay. Well, you have a beautiful voice. Maybe next concert?"

"Yeah, maybe."

I stood back up, and my heart jumped when I saw Logan approaching me. I struggled to maneuver through the crowd of people to get to my sister, and hopefully, getting out of his sight. I finally managed to get through, and I gently tapped Hayley on the shoulder. She turned around, and caught a glimpse of Logan maneuvering through the crowd to get to me.

"Well, we're gonna head out now," she said to Lucy, "but thanks for understanding."

"No problem, Hayley," said Lucy. "Hope things get better for you, Cheyenne," she said sympathetically. "I'm so sorry, Honey."

"Thanks," I said, almost in tears as I latched onto Hayley's arm.

"Come on, Sweetie," Hayley said, trying to maneuver us both through the crowd as fast as possible.

"Wait, Cheyenne!" Logan called.

The sound of his voice calling my name ripped my heart out. I didn't respond. I kept my focus forward as my wonderful sister led me out of the performing arts building. We hurried to the car, and got in as quickly as possible.

It wasn't that I was afraid Logan was going to harm me. I knew he would never do such a thing. However, as I stated before, I was nowhere near ready to talk to him after he ripped my heart out. I was still madly in love with him, and in the worst state of mind possible. My emotions were all over the place, and the last thing I needed was to hear any explanation he had to give. I didn't want to listen to him try to defend himself while my heart crumbled more and more.