Chapter 14

A few days later, Hayley was out running some errands. She had just finished up at the grocery store, and was putting her shopping cart away when she heard someone calling her name.

"Hayley!"

She turned around to see that Logan was running towards her. "Oh, fuck no," she mumbled angrily as she rifled through her purse. "Damn it," she growled, "where are my keys?"

"Hayley!"

"Forget it," she said to herself as she turned to walk away, but Logan caught up to her.

"Hayley!" he called, following her. "Hayley, wait."

"Not now, Logan," Hayley said in a low, angry tone.

"Hayley, please––"

"I said not now."

"Hayley, I need to talk to you."

Hayley stopped in her tracks, and gave Logan a very dirty look. "You really think I wanna talk to you right now?"

"Cheyenne's not answering my calls or my texts. I––"

"Gee, I wonder why!"

"Look, I just wanna make sure she's alright."

"No, Logan, she's not!" she snapped. "She's trying really hard to be okay again, trying to distract herself, and force her way out of a deep hole, but she is a human trainwreck!"

"Please, let me explain."

"Explain?! Now, you wanna 'explain?!' Why don't you start by explaining why, after a year, you all of a sudden decided you weren't ready for a relationship! Or, maybe you should explain why you didn't even have the decency to break up with her in person! Instead, you sent her a god damned text message! You know, she really cared about you, Logan! She trusted you! She even wrote a fucking song for you!"

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, she poured her heart out in a beautiful song she wrote for you, and she was gonna play it for you that night!"

Logan's face scrunched up in sadness. "I still wanna be her friend."

"Well, that's not gonna happen, because she can't even look at you now... and neither can I. You know, I never thought you were a coward, until now. I seriously doubt your reason for breaking my baby sister's heart was because you weren't ready. You don't stay with someone that long, put in all that work, and suddenly decide you're not ready for a relationship. You just don't."

"Tell her I'm sorry."

"You know what, Logan? You really should be sorry, but 'sorry' isn't gonna fix anything. You broke her heart. You broke her trust in you, and you broke mine, too. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get home, and take care of my baby sister. And, I have milk in the trunk that's gonna go bad if I keep wasting my time talking to you. Goodbye, Logan." With that, she got into her car, and drove off.