Chapter 35

We arrived just as Abby was getting out of her car. Hayley opened her window, and waved to her. "Hey!"

"Hey, guys!" she greeted excitedly.

"Who is she?" Sméagol asked me.

"That's our best friend, Abby," I said, unbuckling my seatbelt.

"Oh. Is she nice, too?"

"She's really nice. You'll like her."

Hayley closed the window, got out of the car, and ran to Abby, giving her a big hug.

While they talked, I got out of the car, and came around to Sméagol's side to help him. "Do you know how to unbuckle your seatbelt?" I asked.

Sméagol felt around, and successfully unbuckled it.

"You got it," I said, helping him put the seatbelt back.

"Thank you, Precious," said Sméagol as he climbed out, and followed me to where Abby was.

"Oh, there they are!" said Hayley. "Abby, I want you to meet––"

"Sméagol?!" Abby squealed.

Sméagol looked at Abby, very surprised. "It knows my name?"

Abby laughed. "Of course, I know who you are! Wow, it's so nice to finally meet you!" She reached out her hand. "I'm Abby, by the way."

Sméagol took hold of Abby's hand, and gently shook it with a warm smile on his face. "Very nice to meet you, too, Abby."

"Wow, you're a lot taller than I thought you were."

Sméagol laughed awkwardly. He honestly didn't understand how his height changed. He remembered being three and a half feet tall, but somehow, when he was revived and sent to me, he grew nearly two feet. Maybe it was to help him fit in a little more. Of course, that was the only physical difference. That, and the fact that he had an easier time standing upright and walking on his two feet, rather than on all fours. He was still very skinny and wiry with big hands and feet and long, wiry toes and fingers, just like he appeared in the movies.

We headed inside, and found a well-illuminated booth in the corner, only a few feet away from the stage. Hayley and Abby sat on one side, while Sméagol and I sat on the other.

"Sméagol never been to a restaurant before," said Sméagol.

"You'll love it, Sméagol," said Abby. "The food here is really good."

"Must we cooks it ourselves?"

"Nope. A waitress comes over to take your order. Tell her what you want, and she'll tell the cooks in the kitchen. Then, they make the food, and the waitress brings it back out."

"Same with drinks," I said. "She'll come over, and ask us what we want to drink. Then, she'll bring them, and ask what we wanna eat."

"And, all the foods they have are listed on the menu," said Hayley, picking up the menu, and showing it to Sméagol.

"Oh, Sméagol understands now," Sméagol said, fascinated.

"Hey, Sméagol," I said, "they have fish here."

Sméagol's face lit up. "Fish?!"

"It's not raw, though," said Hayley. "It's fried, and it comes with fries."

"What's fries, Precious?"

"They're like the chips in Middle Earth."

Sméagol hesitated.

"It's really, really good," I said encouragingly. "It's one of my favorite meals here."

Sméagol thought for a moment. "Alright," he said nervously, "I gives it a try."

"You'll love it, Sméagol," said Abby, looking at her menu.

Just then, the waitress came by to take our drink orders. "Hey, guys!" she greeted cheerfully. She knew who we were since we were regular customers.

"Hey, Stacy," Hayley greeted with a warm smile.

"What can I get you to drink?"

"I'll take a Dr. Pepper with light ice, please," I said.

"Sweet tea, please," said Hayley.

"I'll take a bourbon and coke, please," said Abby.

Then, Stacy turned to Sméagol. "And, for you, sir?"

"Sméagol take water, please," he said shyly.

"Okay, I'll be right back," said Stacy as she walked away.

"Great job, Sméagol," said Hayley. "You were very polite."

Sméagol smiled.

Soon, Stacy arrived back with our drinks. "Are you guys ready to order, or do you need a minute?"

"Nope, we're ready," said Abby. "I'll take the shepherd's pie, please."

"Cheeseburger and fries, please," said Hayley, "with ranch dressing on the side."

"And, how do you want that cooked?" asked Stacy.

"Medium."

"I'll take the fish and chips, please," I said, "with ranch, tarter, and cocktail sauce on the side."

"Sméagol take the same, please."

"With all the same sauces?" Stacy inquired.

Sméagol hesitated.

"Give 'em a try," I said encouragingly.

"Yes, please," said Sméagol.

Stacy smiled. "Alright. I'll bring you guys some bread, and your food will be ready in a jiffy."

"Thank you," we all said.

"Bread?" Sméagol inquired, remembering the bread he choked on back in Middle Earth.

"It's okay, Sméagol," said Hayley. "You won't choke on it now. The ring is gone. That's what prevented you from enjoying all these yummy foods."

Sméagol sighed. "And... Gollum wouldn't eats it, either."

"By the way, where is Gollum?"

"I don't knows," said Sméagol. "Hopefully gone forever."

That saddened me to hear, and even more so to hear how resentful Sméagol seemed to be towards Gollum. However, I guess I understood. I mean, I didn't live in his body and mind, so I don't know how either of them felt.