Chapter 20

A few days later, I was in my room, playing on my computer, when my phone rang with Abby's ringtone. "Hey, Abby," I answered.

"Hey," Abby said.

"What's up?"

"LIsten... I don't know how to tell you this, but..."

Oh, shit, I thought. This can't be good.

She continued. "I was coming outta Walmart, and..." She hesitated. "And... I saw Logan with another girl."

My jaw dropped, and my heart fell to the floor. "W..." I was speechless. "I..."

"Maybe they're just friends, but... the way they looked together, I don't know."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. It's hard to explain, but it's like this vibe they were giving off, their body language, like there was something going on between them. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong."

"Doesn't really matter anyway. I mean, we're not together anymore, so..."

"Yeah, but still... I know you still love him."

"Yeah, but... it's not like he'll ever want me back."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm... I'm good."

"You sure? I could come over if you want."

"No, it's... it's fine." I wanted Abby to come over, but I knew she had other plans. I didn't want her to drop them for me.

"Okay, if you're sure," she said hesitantly.

"I'm sure."

"Okay, well... I'll talk to you later, and see how you're doing."

"Okay, talk to you then. Bye."

"Bye."

I put my phone down, and went to Logan's Facebook page to see if he had any pictures of him and this girl. So far, I didn't see any, and his relationship status still said 'Single." A big part of me was hoping she was just a friend, but I knew that, even if she was, that didn't mean anything. After all, we weren't even together anymore, and I honestly didn't believe we would ever get back together in the future. Though, I hoped for it. I exited out of Facebook, and tiptoed over to my bed. I crawled under the blankets, and snuggled up with my Sméagol doll. I looked at his beautiful face with tears in my eyes. Most people would look at him, and say he looked creepy or ugly, but I couldn't see that at all. I may be visually impaired, but I have seen creepy and ugly before. Sméagol was neither. He was beautiful in my eyes, inside and out. I had nothing bad to say about him.

"I really wish you were real," I wept. "I really need you right now."

I looked at his face again, and his expression seemed to change from eerie sorrow and self doubt to a warm, kind smile. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but it was very comforting for me. Again, I usually cannot see facial expressions, but somehow, I could see his.

I hugged the doll again, still crying, and I felt something on my cheek, like a soft peck. I looked, and noticed Sméagol's lips right next to my face. Nah, I thought. There's no way a doll could've given me a small kiss on the cheek. Then, I felt something gently and very subtly stroking my hair. Sméagol's arms were around me, as they always are when I hug him. I always put them around myself, but come on. There's no way a doll could've caressed the back of my head. I was just imagining things, right? Well, even if it was only my imagination or wishful thinking, it comforted me, made me feel loved. It was almost like Sméagol was trying to communicate with me through my very active and vivid imagination, to tell me that everything would be okay.

I hurried to the bathroom to do my, uh, business, and I changed into my sweater night dress. I came back into my room, and tiptoed over to my computer. I exited out of Google Chrome, not even bothering to see if I had any new messages from Logan. I opened iTunes, and turned on my Celtic Woman playlist. I crawled back into bed, and snuggled with Sméagol. I imagined he was singing along with the songs that played, like he was singing to me to console me. Again, I felt a small caress on the back of my head, fingers slowly and subtly running through my hair, and a small peck on the cheek. I looked at his face again to see if I was just crazy, and saw the same warm, kind, sweet smile with a loving, sympathetic expression in his big, beautiful blue eyes. I closed my eyes as tears streamed down my face, and I heard a very faint voice singing along with the music. I lay very still, and listened carefully. I could definitely hear it, but it was so faint that it was hard to tell if it was real or just my wild imagination again. It was a very sweet, gentle voice that made me feel so warm inside. I didn't try to pick at things anymore. I let myself enjoy them, even if they weren't real, as I fell asleep. It was around four in the afternoon, and I slept until dinnertime at seven.