Chapter 18 - Audrey

I couldn't feel the sand beneath my hands. I knew it was there of course, I could see the pale yellow through my tears. My entire body was numb though, trembling from the pain. The tears wouldn't stop flowing as I thought about my lost lover.

"Princess Audrey, I know you're devastated, but we must get back to the palace. The shore isn't safe. The ocean could act up again." Gale's voice sounded faint, like she was whispering. My mouth unable to form words, I shook my head, refusing to leave.

"Miss Audrey, please. Princess Eve-" Cherry started, her voice sounding even quieter than Gale's.

"Don't say her name..." I mumbled, my throat dry and scratchy. Even if they said something after that, I didn't hear them. Eve's scream was all I could hear. The look on her face as she disappeared into the frigid waters. I couldn't bear it, knowing my wife had died because she wanted to make me happy. Had she not moved the wedding to a ship, she never would've been thrown overboard. She's dead because of me. The realization shook me to my core, and I scrambled to my feet, shaking even more than before.

"Miss Audrey?" I could hear Cherry's voice but the words didn't process. I felt a warm hand touch my arm and I jerked away from it, unable to stand being touched when I'm the reason my wife is dead.

"Please...I need some time alone. Don't follow me. I'll stay on shore." I cried out, stumbling away from the two women.

"At least change clothes so you aren't in your wedding dress. I managed to grab a change of clothes before abandoning the ship." Gale said, holding out a satchel. I nodded and took it, walking away hoping they would heed my request.

Thankfully, they listened, not moving as I made my way around a large rock. Collapsing against the rock, I screamed, pulling my hair. I wanted to hurt like Eve hurt. I needed to hurt like she hurt.

"Hey girly, what's got your smile turned upside down?" A voice I hadn't heard in months broke through my thoughts. Looking up, I saw Shelly standing in front of me.

"Shelly...?" I asked, my voice sounding like nails on a chalkboard.

"Woah, you can talk now! Crazy!" Shelly replied, hopping closer. I nodded, reaching out to pet my old friend.

"Mhm..." I agreed, letting the bird's soft feathers tickle my hand.

"So why are you so upset? And so far from where I last saw you?" Shelly chirped.

"It's a long story. I'm crying right now because I just got married. Right after it was official, the ocean went insane and sent my wife over the side of the ship. I wasn't allowed to try and save her because I'm now a princess and they had to get me to safety. But I also don't know how anyone else fared. Pretty much everyone I cared about was on that ship and I don't know who's still alive, if anyone!" I cried, tears rolling down my cheeks again.

"If you want, I can go fly over the water for you! See if anyone's there." Shelly offered, attempting a smile even though it didn't really work with a beak.

"That would be great...Thank you Shelly" I replied, giving the bird a weak smile. Shelly squawked before taking off, soaring over the now calm water. I watched as the bird disappeared from view, the angle of light causing my view to be obstructed. 'Please be ok Eve...I need you. I can't live without you. And everyone else on the ship, you all need to be ok too. I can't bear the thought of so many people dying because of my wedding. This day was supposed to be happy. Instead, it's the worst day of my life.' I mused, a fog of uncertainty settling in my mind. Putting my head in my knees, I curled up against the cool rock, letting my mind and thoughts wander off. The quiet sound of the waves faded away as I drifted off into a restless sleep.