Chapter 10 - Eve

The silent girl who came into my life only a few weeks prior sat next to me, a loving look in her eyes. I don't think she realized it was there, but it was clear as day to me. Every time I caught her staring, I saw something inspiring in those crystal clear eyes of hers. She made me want to fight the world if only to make sure she was unharmed. I knew that no matter what happened, she would always be lingering in my mind and in my heart. Suddenly, the emotions became too much for me to handle. I couldn't the tears that spilled out of my eyes, hand covering my mouth as muffled sobs escaped my lips. The love that was just in Audrey's eyes faded, worry replacing it. She reached for my hand, yet I flinched away from her. Once again, the emotion in her eyes shifted, this time from worry to hurt. I opened my mouth to apologize, but another gut wrenching sob forced its way out before I could say anything. Unable to take the hurt flashing in Audrey's eyes, I stood up and ran from the room. I quickly made my way to my own room, praying nobody would see me. Thankfully, I made it there with no disruptions. As soon as the door clicked shut, I let out the cries that had been tearing at my insides while I slid down the door.

'I'm such an idiot. I pulled away, started crying, and ran away from her. She probably hates me and is hurt. Why do I always mess up?' I thought, ignoring the burning tears. A knock sounded, shaking my body with the force in it. Not wanting to be seen like this, I ignored it, pretending I wasn't there.

"Princess, please let me in. Miss Audrey informed me of what was going on best she could. I would like to make sure you are unharmed." Gale's voice came through the door, sincerity poking through.

"I-I'm fine Gale!" I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

"With all due respect, you are not. You ran from Audrey's room crying and sobbing after flinching away from her touch when she reached out to comfort you. And not to mention, your tears started uncontrollably. Eve, I've known you all your life. You never burst into tears unless something major happened. Let me in so you can cry on my shoulder." Gale said, refusing to leave me alone. I hesitated but stood up and opened the door.

I knew my Gale's face, my eyes were red and my cheeks were puffy, shining with the falling tears. I smiled weakly at her before I hugged her tightly, crying into her shoulder. She said nothing, just took a few steps forward so she was able to close the door.

"I got you Eve. Let it all out. I'm not going anywhere. You can take as long as you need." Gale reassured me, running a hand through my hair. I couldn't say anything, still choked up with tears. After what seemed like forever, the tears stopped falling and I pulled away, sniffling.

"You done?" Gale asked, concern in her eyes. I nodded, sitting down on my bed, hugging my stuffed animal close.

"Ok. Why don't you explain what happened then?" Gale pushed, sitting next to me. I knew she was just trying to help, but I didn't really want to tell her.

"I don't exactly know what happened..." I mumbled, casting my eyes towards the ground, "I was just looking at Audrey and suddenly it felt like my emotions were so sensitive. She reached out to hold my hand but it felt like I would've been burned by her touch. I hurt her Gale, I know I did but I can't take back what I did!" I continued, struggling to keep the tears from falling.

"Eve. I know I can't change what you see in your eyes. But let me tell you this. Audrey was very concerned about you when she came to find me. It didn't seem like she was thinking at all about herself. Only on making sure you were alright. I know that Audrey will understand why you flinched away from her. Can you explain to me a little more about your emotions?" Gale said, gently placing her hand on my own.

"It's just, every time I look at Audrey, my heart feels like it's going to explode. I can't be around her without my face heating up and my heart thumping so loud. I'm always sweaty and nervous when we are together." I explained, realization dawning on me.

"Oh Eve... You are in love with Audrey!" Gale exclaimed, saying the thoughts replaying in my own mind.

"In love...with Audrey. The girl I've known for about a month. The girl who we found lying on the side of the road, nearly dead?!" I replied, panic setting in.

"Yes! That Audrey! Eve, I'm so happy for you!" Gale told me, her smile wide and bright. I shook my head, standing up and starting to pace.

"What will my parents think? What will the kingdom think? What will Audrey think!" I rambled, all possible scenarios running through my mind. Before I could continue, Gale grabbed my hands.

"First of all, your parents are very supportive. You have always known that and you see it in action. Second, the kingdom will accept you. They love Princess Eve and you being with a woman will not change that fact! And third, Audrey has had a girlfriend before! If you are worried about what she will think about a woman loving another woman, you are delusional!" Gale pointed out, an exasperated sigh following her words. I stopped, staring into Gale's eyes.

"Really?" I asked, nerves flying through my veins.

"Really." Gale stated, squeezing my hands. Taking a deep breath, I nodded, mentally preparing myself.

"Ok then. Let's go tell her. I don't want something like this happening again and scaring her or hurting her even more. Thank you so much Gale. You are the best friend a girl could ask for." I hugged Gale before leaving my room, making my way back to Audrey's room.

Lightly, I knocked, fidgeting with my hands to try and calm myself down. The door flew wide open, Audrey standing there, her eyes still filled with concern. Before I even opened my mouth, she hugged me tightly. I smiled into her hair and hugged her back.

"I'm sorry Audrey. I didn't mean to flinch, or run away, or burst into tears. I was overwhelmed but I now know why. I'm sorry I hurt you." I apologized, pushing her away slightly so I could look her in the eyes. She shook her head, trying to tell me I didn't hurt her and I didn't have to apologize.

"Listen, there's something really important I have to tell you," I pushed on, knowing that if I stopped, I would lose all confidence, "You know that you're important to me, I make this obvious. But I haven't told you exactly how important you are. Every time I'm near you, I get butterflies, desperate to feel your gaze. Whenever we touch, if only for the slightest moments, electricity sparks on my skin. Audrey, I don't care that you can't talk. And I don't care if I found you on the side of a road. All I care about is now. And right now, I know that I love you." I took a deep breath, terrified to see Audrey's reaction.

For a moment, we were both still and silent.Then, slowly, we both leaned in to each other, closed our eyes, and shared our very first kiss. All I know is that fire was burning my body, her lips so warm and perfect. As we broke apart, she smiled up at me.

"I love you too."