Chapter 11 - Audrey

I froze, the sound of my voice ringing through the room. I knew that my own expression matched the shocked one on Eve's face. 'We kissed. I'm able to talk. It's true love'

"It's true love!" I exclaimed, happy tears filling my eyes. I grabbed Eve's face and kissed it all over, so excited. Within moments, she pulled away.

"Hold on. I need you to explain. Right now." Eve said, a hint of fear in her voice. I took a deep breath and led her to sit down on the bed.

"This is going to sound absolutely crazy, but I need you to not interrupt ok?" I started, waiting for Eve's nod. It came not a second later.

"Well, my name is Audrey, but you already know that. However, you don't know most of my story. The part about breaking up with my girlfriend and not having anywhere to stay is true but a majority of everything else hasn't been. Before you say anything, yes, my personality and my feelings are 100% true. It's my past that isn't. The truth is, I'm not human. I'm a mermaid. I was given legs by my aunt so I could escape my father. He's not happy that I'm lesbian. The cost of my legs was my voice and the only way I could get my voice back was to kiss my true love. I thought my previous girlfriend was my true love. But then, someone stole her from me and I ran. That's when you found me. I know it sounds crazy but please...you have to believe me." I finished, avoiding Eve's questioning gaze. I sat still as she stood up and started pacing, muttering to herself. As she paced back and forth, I remained silent, knowing she needed this time to comprehend what I had told her. Finally, she paused, turning to me.

"So you are saying that you're a mermaid, was spelled by your aunt to give you legs, found a girlfriend but she left you, and by kissing me, your true love, you're able to talk?" Eve asked, trying to understand.

"Yes. I know I sound insane and delusional. And I understand if you want me to leave and never return. But I promise that I love you. And I know you love me." I replied. Sighing, Eve ran a hand through her hair.

"I'm not going to force you to leave. But I can't do this right now. I'm sorry." Eve mumbled, exiting the room without looking at me. Only a bit hurt, I flopped back onto the bed. 'She thinks I'm crazy. She'll kick me out tomorrow and once again, I'll be alone in this world. At least I'll be able to talk. Not that I'll be able to talk without thinking of Eve. Now that I know it's true love, I'll never be the same.' I thought, the truth filling my heart with pain of what may never happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't leave my room for the next couple days. Not once does Eve try to reach out to me. I know she needs time but it still stings knowing that the one I love might not love me anymore. Gale comes and drops off food for me, but I don't touch it. What's the point in me eating if I'm just going to get kicked out soon? I'm laying on my bed, the same place I have been for the past few days, when I hear a knock. Begrudgingly, I go to open the door.

"How can I-" I started, cutting off as I recognized the person standing there. A cold expression settling onto my face, I crossed my arms.

"Why are you here?" I asked, my voice firm.

"I know, I have no right to be here after what I did to you. But is it really the worst thing? You can talk now! That means you found your true love!" Aunt Uri exclaimed, trying to convince me her actions were ok.

"Yeah, I can talk which means I did find my true love. But you didn't answer my question. Why are you here?" I repeated, my expression nor my voice softening. Aunt Uri sighed, clearly thinking how to answer the question.

"Well, once I broke the spell on Rose, I told her you had to return to our hometown and wouldn't be able to come back. The-" She started to explain.

"You told her that it was MY fault I ran off?! You made up some excuse to save your own image! I can't believe you!" I said, even more angry than before.

"Audrey, please. I'm sorry about everything I did. I got blinded by my own desires and didn't care about what it took to get what I wanted. Because of that, I hurt you. And I can never forgive myself for that. I've been looking for you for months and finally I found you. I'm simply here to apologize for everything I've done." Aunt Uri said, what sounded like genuine sorrow seeping through her voice. Even though she was my Aunt and she was sorry, I wasn't ready to forgive her just yet.

"Please just go Aunt Uri. While I appreciate you giving me my legs, I can't forget what you did to me. The only reason I'm alive is because Eve found me on the side of the road before I completely froze to death and brought me here, nursing me back to health. I would be dead if not for her. Because of what you did. You hurt me so much. I can't forgive you. Please just leave the castle and don't come back." I told her, only feeling slightly bad for my Aunt. Not saying anything else, she nodded, beginning to walk away. Before I could close the door, I heard a voice I had been dying to hear for days,

"And who might you be?" Eve asked, stopping the guard and Aunt Uri. Quickly, I joined them in the hallway. Aunt Uri glanced at me before responding.

"I'm simply one of Audrey's friends. I'm leaving now though, do not worry." She said, curtsying, moving past Eve.

"Nonsense. If you are one of her friends, I insist you stay for dinner." Eve announced, telling the guard to alert the kitchen.

"Eve, can I please talk to you alone?" I interrupted, desperate to talk. Eve looked at me like she was only just now realizing I was there.

"Not at the moment. I should show your friend around." Eve replied, a hint of coldness lingering.

"Eve please..." I begged her, reaching out for her hand. Before I could even brush it, Eve pulled her arm away.

"Please don't touch me Audrey. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to show your friend around." Eve stated, turning her back. That's when I knew Eve still didn't believe my story. I knew that as long as she didn't believe me, we could never be together and our friendship would be ruined.

"She's not my friend, she's my aunt and she can confirm everything I told you. Please, just listen. If you still think I'm insane, I'll leave willingly." I pleaded. Eve and Uri both turned to me, surprised. I stood there, a desperate expression on my face. Not moving, I let Eve's eyes rake over my face. Finally, she sighed, giving in.

"Alright. I'll hear you both out. I really do want to believe you Audrey. It's just hard." Eve said, walking into my room, me by her side and Aunt Uri behind us.

"I know it is Eve. But I can't have our relationship go on when I'm living a lie. I want to be with you but only if I can be who I really am." I replied, squeezing her hand, doing my best to relax her. She smiled gratefully at me before sitting on the bed.

"Ok, let's hear it." She said, her tone making it clear this was the only time she was going to listen.