Chapter 8 - Audrey

I pulled my wrist out of Aunt Uri's grip and ran right out the door, ignoring Rose eagerly waiting for Aunt Uri to come back from downstairs. I couldn't stop running. My Aunt, who looked like she was 21 and on land, stole my girlfriend. She ruined everything I had worked so hard for. The thuds as my feet hit the ground were a steady beat, matching the thoughts racing through my mind. I ran and ran and ran. I ran until I couldn't run anymore.

Looking around, I didn't see anything I recognized anymore. I was nowhere near the town where I had met Rose. Night approaching quickly, I sat down on the side of the road. Bringing my knees to my chest, I closed my eyes and let more tears fall. The tears never stopped. Not while I was running, not now. It seemed as if everywhere I went, I was hurt even more. I became more broken with each new place I discovered. I dropped my head and drifted off into a restless sleep.

When I woke up, there were carriages and people streaming past me on the road. Not one of them paid me any attention. I got up, stretching my sore muscles. Sleeping on the side of the road was not good for my back. Ignoring the pain, I stood up and joined the river of people. I didn't know where I was going, but I just went along with it. I didn't care. As long as I didn't go back to Rose, I was content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days passed. I continued on the same journey. Every night, I would fall asleep, leaning against a tree, curled up on soft moss, even on a rock. Every day, I would join the traveling masses. The only thing I found strange was the fact that as I went further, less and less people were traveling. I paid it no mind though. I would continue on this road until I found a town or village. As the light faded, the cold would bite everyone who was still outside. Since I had nowhere to go, I knew the cold well. It matched the coldness and emptiness I felt inside.

One evening, I curled up against a tree, the temperature lower than ever. As I fell into the dream world, I thought I saw snow, but I determined I was hallucinating. Not having shelter, new clothes, a reliable source of food and water was taking its toll on me. That's what I convinced myself as I fell into another night of restless sleep. Throughout the night, I continued to wake up and fall back asleep. Each time I was somewhere new. The first time, I was where I fell asleep. The next time, I thought I saw a person. From that moment on, I dreamt of carriages, palaces, horses, and snow. I knew I was hallucinating though. I knew that because when I woke up the first time, a layer of snow had covered the ground and I was the coldest I had ever been in my entire life, yet at the same time, I was burning all over. Right before I fell back asleep, I got to the conclusion that I was sick.

Finally, I managed to wake up and stay away for more than a few seconds. I was somewhere I didn't recognize. A heavy blanket laid on top of me, immobilizing me. The strength to push it off wasn't present in my body. The room I was in was painted a cream color, a fireplace with a roaring fire, a desk, a chair, a window letting in bright sunlight, a couch that looked really comfy, and a fuzzy rug. 'I have to be dreaming all of this. Maybe I died and went to heaven. That would be nice. No more pain.' I thought as I turned my gaze to the ceiling. I didn't have enough energy to even try and get out of bed. Nausea and exhaustion were taking over my body. Unable to stay awake any longer, I let my eyes drift shut right as I saw the door crack open.

Hours later, I awoke again. This time, the room was painted in shadows as the sun had clearly set. The blanket was still keeping me in place but the fire had calmed down a bit. The feeling like I was going to throw up was gone but a new feeling was in place. It's like something was missing. I couldn't quite remember what it was though. Deciding if it was important I would've remembered it, I let my eyes shut. This time however, I didn't fall asleep. I simply laid there, unable to do much else.

"She's still asleep. I'm worried about her. What if we weren't fast enough? What if she's already gone..." A voice interrupted my thoughts. I heard padded footsteps and then a hand on my wrist. I forced myself to stay limp and pretend as if I was asleep.