Chapter 2 - Uri

As I swam away from Audrey's room, I couldn't quite figure out why I agreed to give her legs. I had been stuck down here my entire life, so she should too. As a monarch, that should be the reasoning behind refusing to turn her into a human. As her Aunt, I have to do what's best for her. My brother, King Trevor, is a total asshole. He's homophobic and if anyone ever says something he doesn't like, that person is in a whole lot of trouble. Maybe that's why I said yes to her crazy plan. Because through her, I can be my true self too. That's something I've always dreamed of. That and being a bio queen. I already am a bio queen though. A pretty good one at that. The merfolk love it when I go to bars in drag. They don't know who I am though, obviously. That's the part that stings the most. Being loved for what you do but never getting any acknowledgement for it. That's probably another reason I said yes to Audrey. At this point though, it doesn't matter why. It matters how.

Over the next couple days, I ponder and puzzle out how I'm going to get Trevor and the guards out of the palace. Finally, I realize how I'm going to do it. Quickly, I make my way to Trevor's wing of the castle.

"Trevor!!! This is an emergency!" I yelled, swimming around quickly to entice panic.

"What is it Uri? I'm busy!" Trevor called back, poking his head out of a door to my right.

"It's absolutely terrible! I can't even fathom why someone would do this! It's disgusting, a waste of merfolk!" I rambled, trying to get Trevor worked up.

"Uri, you know I hate it when you ramble. Tell me why you need me so badly!" Trevor said, frustration seeping through his voice.

"Ok, ok. I was going for my daily swim to clear my mind. I was out near the corals, the ones behind the east garden, when I saw it. There were two mermen. And they were together. Not just together, together together. When I spotted them, I immediately told them to stop. They didn't listen though. I tried to approach them but they swam away too fast. Before they got too far, they said that they were going to infect our family! And soon we would all be like that!" I cried, feigning despair and making up a lie right on the spot.

"I managed to send guards after them but I don't know how that went. I saw them swim towards Gari Bay. Trevor, I think they're going to attack us and make us gay like them! You need to go after them. You are the only one who can do something about it! You should bring your entire guard to protect yourself. We don't want you becoming gay as well!" I continued, not letting Trevor get a single word in until I was finished. At that point, I fell silent, letting Trevor talk. I had to fight to hide a smile because his face was bright red, steam practically coming out of his ears.

"I will make sure to punish them accordingly. Nobody is gay and gets away with it. Thank you for informing me of this." Trevor said, struggling to keep his voice steady. With that, he swam away, calling all the guards to report to the throne room. 'No one gets away with being gay huh? How about your own daughter? She's getting away with it just fine.' I smirked to myself as I made my way back to Audrey's room, ready to set her free.

Quickly, I got to her room and pulled open her door.

"Audrey, let's go! We have an opportunity but Trevor will quickly realize it was a lie." I said, wanting to get this over with quickly.

"Ok! I thought about it and I probably shouldn't bring anything considering it's all mermaid stuff." Audrey replied, swimming over to me.

"Good thinking. Now let's go and make you human!" I told her, grabbing her hand and starting the swim to the surface.

It took a little bit but I managed to find a rock that wasn't too far away from the sand and that hid us well.

"Ok, are you sure you want to do this? It's not too late to turn back." I asked, wanting confirmation just one more time.