Chapter 16 - Audrey

"What..." I responded, not believing what I had just heard. I turned to face Eve, a solemn look on her face.

"Can we talk about this in private please?" She asked, glancing at Cherry. Quickly, Cherry nodded and hurried away, not wanting to be a part of whatever is about to happen, "Let's go to your room." This time I nodded, Eve clearly upset by something. I took her hand and brought her back to my room, sitting down and making small circles on the back of her hand with my thumb.

"What's going on Eve? Why do we have to be married in 2 weeks?" I asked, slightly afraid to hear the answer but knowing Eve needs to talk about it.

"Well, as you know, my coronation is soon. And apparently, I have to be married before I can become Queen. So it doesn't have to be you who I marry, but I would really like it to be. I know that we just started dating and you just said you weren't ready for something like this, but we also know it's true love and I really don't want to mar-" Eve rambled, stressed about how I would respond.

"Of course I'll marry you. I know what I just said, but you make good points. We know it's true love. And honestly, I don't think I would be ok if you got married to someone else. Plus, this way you get to become Queen. It's a win-win situation. Thank you for telling me about this now though." I interrupted, making sure we were looking into each other's eyes. Tears filled Eve's beautiful blue eyes as she leaned into me and cried. Knowing she didn't need words, just comfort, I rubbed her back and held her close to me. Not saying anything, I waited until she was ready to talk.

"Thank you so much Audrey...I was terrified when I learned about this. I wish they had told me sooner. I'm just happy I get to marry you instead of a stranger." Eve said, pulling away from me a little so she could look me in the eyes.

"Of course Eve. I love you and if this is what you need, so be it. I know for a fact that I will be ready when the time comes to say 'I do'. I'm glad I get to share this experience with you." I responded, smiling and kissing her cheek. I felt her relax in my hands and my heart melted at the sight.

"Why don't I call Gale and the two of us can just stay here for the day, cuddling? We'll have all your royal duties moved. I know that you've already had a taxing day and it's still early. If you keep going, you might work yourself to the point of illness." I suggested, already reaching out for the button I could call Gale with.

"But I have a lot to do and now with a wedding to plan, I-" Eve began, anxiety filling her gaze.

"Don't worry about it for today. I will plan the wedding and anything else I can do to help you. It's what future wives are for, isn't it?" I smiled, pulling her into a laying down position, not allowing any argument. Eve sighed but snuggled closer, her eyes drifting shut.

"What did I do to deserve someone as perfect as you?" She whispered.

"You were you. You are the one who saved my life, you know. Twice. Plus, I think I'm the lucky one to have you. You're so caring and gentle with me. I love you so much Eve." I replied, brushing stray strands of hair out of Eve's face.

"I love you too Audrey." Eve mumbled, sleep overtaking her. I kissed her forehead and then shut my eyes, letting my mind wander off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next few days, I did my best to plan a good wedding. I made sure to hire a marriage officiant, a live band, and invite guests. I even got a venue for the reception! Eve was constantly stressed so I did as best I could to make sure she was comfortable when we cuddled together at night. However, Eve didn't show up some nights. When she didn't show up, I would go searching for her, often finding her slaving away at her desk. From there, I would convince her to leave work for another day before leading her back to her room. We would get in bed together and I would make sure she fell asleep before I fell asleep myself.