Chapter 25

My breathing became erratic. My eyes were frozen as my whole frame trembled. S-She died??

"You see, Violet-chan. I thought that my quirk and hers were already good enough to take on the villains by our own. I even thought that we were on par with them since we were able to block when they attacked and attack when they were unguarded. Ofcourse, the bad guys wouldn't back down that easily and... Well... I got cocky. One villain shot out a blade towards her while I was attacking and... I wasn't able to do anything. My quirk just.... It wasn't strong enough..." The heroine lowered her head once again, this time I could see her biting her lip as though to push back her tears.

I felt a hot liquid stream upon my cheek as I licked my lips. My heart panged as though it resonated with the pain that Nami was feeling. I hugged my knees as I tried to calm my trembling body. I lowered my head as well unable to look at the sullen heroine beside me. She must feel so angry and ashamed of her quirk. She has every right to.

It costed her the life of one that she cared for.

"You hate your quirk don't you, Nami-san? Because of it you lost your bestfriend. You're afraid of using it again." I woefully remarked as my chin trembled, the corners of my mouth all drawn-down. I looked at my hands as it shook, all the confidence for my quirk drained away. I should know. Because I was once like that. I am still like that.

Still caught up from the past. I sighed from that thought. How could I not be though? When everything around me is a reminder of my mistake. The cars, quirks... My mom. Maybe it was a mistake to practice my quirk and go to UA after a---

"That's just the opposite, Violet-chan." The azure-haired female dictated as she held my hand. I turned to look at her and saw her smiling with moist eyes. She looked at me, full of resolution, not a hint of worry or defeat.

"Because of what happened, I trained my quirk everyday, polishing it to the finest, using it until I wore out. I wanted to get to know it better, understand it's weakness and strengths. So that, next time... I won't make the same mistake." She maintained as she squeezed my hands a bit. Her eyes were sparkling as though she were proud of what she has accomplished until now.

"So that next time, I'd become a real hero." The heroine concluded to which her expression left me gaping. Sh-she's so cool! My eyes waivered a bit thinking how much stronger she was than me. She, too, is out of my league.

"I envy you, Nami-san. To have such confidence in your quirk. For not giving up." I lamented, my eyes void of esteem and my voice lacked conviction. I wish I were just a tiny bit like her.

I was shaken off of my trance when the azure-haired female suddenly chuckled. I turned to face her and she lightly placed her hand upon my cheek.

"Dummy, Violet-chan. Do you remember the time you ran off from our group in Hosu City? Your eyes were screaming 'I want to save him! I want to save him!'" She remembered as she proudly looked into my eyes, her emerald orbs locked unto my E/C ones.

My eyes slightly widened at that realization. I hadn't even thought that I was able to give off such an impression like that. All I had in mind was the drive to go look for Izuku.

"That expression didn't look like it came from someone who already gave up. You might not be there yet, Y/N-chan. But one day, I'm sure you'll be able to face your fears and say that you're proud of who you are, mistakes and all. I'm sure of it." The heroine chimed pinching my cheek a little. Before I was able to say something back, a pair of hands held both Nami's and my shoulder which made us wince a little.