Chapter 25

"You guys are gonna be done soon, right? We've got a lot of ground to cover if we want to make it to Omashu today" Sokka said as he lay on a leaf in the water. Katara and Aang were practicing waterbending while I sat on the bank of the river, kicking my feet in the water.

"You don't seem very ready, naked guy" I told him with a smirk. "I could be ready in two minutes. But you on the other hand, Mira- you take ages to get ready" Sokka stated. I stood up and walked over to him.

"Are you trying to imply something?" I asked as I stood over him with my hands on my hips. He lifted his hair from his face and looked at me. "Yeah. I get ready in two minutes and it takes you like three hours to even do your hair" Sokka said. I raised an eyebrow and an idea came to my mind. I grabbed the edge of the leaf and tugged it in my direction, causing Sokka to fall into the water.

"Hey! Was that really necessary?" He asked. I smirked and lied down on the leaf. "Yup" I said. A few seconds later I was underwater and I stood up with a frown.

I was about to say something when I heard music playing from beyond beyond trees. "Don't fall in love with a travelling girl. She'll leave you broke and broken-hearted!" A man sang. We all turned to look at a group of people with instruments. "Hey, hey! River people" The man said.

"We're not river people" Katara told him. He looked confused. "You're not? Well, then what kind of people are you?" He asked.

"Just people" I said. "Aren't well all, sister!" The man said. I raised an eyebrow at him but didn't say anything else.

"Who are you?" Sokka asked, stepping in front of me. "I'm Chong and this is my wife Lily. We're nomads. Happy to go wherever the wind takes us" He said and began to sing again.

"You guys are nomads?! That's great! I'm a nomad!" Aang exclaimed with a smile. "Hey! Me, too!" Chong repeated.

"We know. You just said that" I said. "Oh. Nice underwear" Chong pointed at Sokka who grabbed Momo and placed him in front of his underwear. I chuckled as Sokka ran behind a rock.

"Oh! Your hair is so beautiful! Can I braid it?" Lily asked me. I was surprised but nodded. "Sure."

◇ ◇ ◇

"Hey, Sokka! You should hear some of these stories. These guys have been everywhere" Aang told Sokka who had finally put clothes on.

"Well, not everywhere, Little Arrowhead, but where we haven't been, we've heard about through stories and songs" Chong said. "They said they'll take us to see a giant night crawler" Aang said with wonder in his eyes.

"On the way, there's a waterfall that creates a never-ending rainbow!" Moku says as he rolls around on the ground. "Look, I hate to be the wet blanket here, but since Mira and Katara are busy, I guess it's up to me" Sokka said causing me to frown at him.

"We need to get to Omashu. No sidetracks, no worms, and definitely no rainbows" Sokka told us, crossing his arms. "Whoa! Sounds like someone's got a case of destination fever. You're worried too much about where you're going" Chong said with a lazy smile.

"You gotta focus less on the where and more on the going" Lily told him. "O-Ma-Shu!" Sokka repeated. "I agree with Sokka. We need to find Bumi so Aang can start his earthbending training somewhere safe" I said.

"Thank you!" Sokka exclaimed. "Well, sounds like you're headed to Omashu" Chong said. Sokka slapped his own forehead.

"There's an old story about a secret pass... Right through the mountains" Chong told us. "Is this real or a legend?" Katara asked him.

"Oh, it's a real legend. And it's as old as earthbending itself" Chong told her. He then started to sing and we hummed along to the song.

"Two lovers forbidden from one another. A war divides their people and a mountain divides them apart. Built a path to be together. Yeah, I forgot the next couple of lines, but then it goes... SECRET TUNNEL! SECRET TUNNEL! Through the mountain! Secret, secret, secret, secret tunnel! Yeah!" Chong sang. We all applauded him but Sokka looked unamused.