Chapter 31

"What's out here?" Sokka asked with a bored look. We were in the middle of no where, watching Aang sitting on the ground with a flute in his hands.

"A lot, actually. There's hundreds of little—" Toph said but Aang cut her off. "Shh! I know you can see underground, but dont ruin the surprise. Just watch" Aang said.

He blew into the flute and suddenly a little groundhog appeared out of one of the holes in the ground. Sokka and I exchanged surprised looks whilst Katara was simply impressed.

"I'm putting an orchestra together!" Aang exclaimed, happily as more groundhogs joined in. "Orchestra, huh? Well, la-di-da" Sokka said, clearly not a fascinated as his sister.

"Let him have fun for once" I told Sokka and he let out a huff. Aang played some more tunes and eventually Sokka stormed up to him and stuck his finger in his flute. "This is great and all, but don't we have more important things to worry about? We should be making plans" Sokka said.

"We did make plans. We're all picking mini-vacations" Toph reminded him. "There's no time for vacations" Sokka told us.

"I'm learning the elements as fast as I can. And Mira is also working hard on her waterbending. We practice hard everyday. I've been training my arrow off!" Aang said, looking at him. "Yeah. What's wrong with having a little fun in our downtime?" Katara asked her brother.

"Even if you do master all of the elements, then what? It's not like we have a map of the Fire Nation. Should we just head west until we reach the Fire Lord's house? Knock, knock! Hello, Fire Lord! Anybody home? I dont think so. We need some intelligence if we're gonna win this war" Sokka spoke, quickly. I walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Sokka, stop worrying and overthinking all of this. I agree with you, but we have months until Sozin's comet. Let us enjoy ourselves, at least for a couple of days" I said. He looked at me and sighed. "Fine."

"Alright. We'll finish our vacations and then we'll look for Sokka's intelligence" Katara said, placing her hands on her hips. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh and Sokka shot me a look. Aang then picked up his map of the Earth Kingdom and looked at Katara.

"Your turn, Katara. Where would you like to go on your mini-vacation?" Aang asked, holding up the map. "How about the Misty Palms Oasis? That sounds refreshing" Katara suggested.

"Oh, yeah, I've been there. It's a pristine natural ice ground. And I usually don't use the word pristine. It's one of nature's wonders."

◇ ◇ ◇

"One of 'nature's wonders', huh?" I said, looking at oasis in front of me. "Must have changed ownership since I was here" Aang laughed, nervously.

We followed him into the oasis and the five of us jumped when the sign behind us fell. As we reached the entrance to the building made of sandstone. A group of men were leaning against the entrance to the house and they looked at us.

One of them spat at my feet and I reached for my sword but Sokka grabbed my hand pulling me inside. "They're not worth it" He told me, shaking his head. I looked around to see people drinking beverages, eating or sleeping. I saw a man ordering a drink and the bartender cut the fruits open with swords, creating a drink.

"I don't see anything wrong with having one of those fruity beverages while we plan our strategy" Sokka said. He rushed forward to order and Katara, Toph, Aang and I followed him. Suddenly, Aang bumped into the man who just got his drink and the beverage spilled down the front of his shirt. "No worries. I clean up easy" Aang said told the man before blowing air around himself.

The man gasped. "You're a living relic!" He exclaimed. "Thanks, I try" Aang shrugged.

"An Air Nomad right in front of me. Professor Zei, Head of Anthropology at Ba Sing Se University. Tell me, which of the Air Temples do you hail from?" He asked, examining Aang like he was some sort of a toy. "The Southern Temple" Aang replied, looking at the professor with a raised brow.