Chapter 26

"I can't believe it. I know the war has spread far, but Omashu always seemed...untouchable" Aang said as we all looked at the city that was now taken over by firebenders.

"Up until now, it was. Now Ba Sing Se is the only great Earth Kingdom stronghold left" Sokka said. "This is horrible. But we have to move on" Katara told us.

"No" I said firmly. They all turned to me. "We need to go in there and find Bumi" I told them. Aang nodded his head in agreement.

"Stop! We don't even know if Bumi's still..." Sokka trailed off. Aang and I both turned to him with similar glared on our faces. "What? If he's still what?" Aang asked.

"Around" Sokka said. "Why wouldn't he be around?! He's one of the greatest earthbenders in the world!" I exclaimed. Sokka placed a hand on my shoulder, giving me a comforting look.

"I know you had your heart set on Bumi, but there are other people who can teach you earthbending" Katara said to Aang. "Katara, I don't think you understand" I said.

"This isn't about finding a teacher. This is about finding our friend" Aang continued as we once again looked at Omashu.

◇ ◇ ◇

We got off Appa beneath the wall surrounding the city. Aang was hitting a metal door with his staff so that it would open. "A secret passage? Why didn't we just use this last time?" Sokka asked. The door opened and dirty water burst at Sokka.

"Because its a sewer" I stated, my nose scrunching in disgust. We stepped inside and I walked along side Aang, covering my mouth and nose. He airbended the sewer water out of our way and I looked at him gratefully. We made it to the exit and Aang blew the cover off the ground.

We looked around for any firebenders and Katara and I followed Aang out of the hole. "That wasn't as bad as I thought" Katara said. "But it was still pretty bad" I added.

We then watched with wide eyes as a creature stepped out of the sewer, covered in sludge. Katara waterbended at the creature who turned out to be Sokka. Sokka screamed as he fell back. Aang then dried him with his airbending and Sokka screamed again as he realised there was a purple pentapus on his face.

"They won't let go! Help!" He yelled. I ran towards him and covered his mouth with my hand. "You're too loud, Sokka" I whispered.

"It's just a purple pentapus" Aang reassured him. Aang then tickled the pentapus stuck to Sokka's cheek and it let go, leaving spots on the boy's face. Sokka tickled the other pentapus on the other side of his face and it also came off.

"Hey!" We heard a voice shout. We all turned and were met with three Fire Nation guards walking up to us. "What are you kids doing out past curfew?" One of them asked us.

"Sorry. We were just on our way home" Katara lied and we all turned to leave. We started to walk when the man spoke up again. "Wait. What's the matter with him?"

I looked at Sokka's neck that had spots on it and I turned to the guards with a fake worried look. "He has a disease called Pentapox, Sir" I explained. The man walked up to Sokka and was about to touch him when I stopped him. "It's highly contagious and quite deadly. That's why we're going home, so he can lie in bed until he gets better" I added quickly.

Sokka then began to act sick. "It's so awful! I'm dying!" Sokka said in a sick voice. "Like I said, deadly" I told them once again.

"Hey, I think I've heard of Pentapox. Didn't your cousin Chang die of it? We better go wash our hands. And burn our clothes!" They ran off quickly and Sokka turned back around to face us. "Great save!" Katara smiled at me.

"Thank you, sewer friend" Aang said to the little pentapus.

◇ ◇ ◇

We ran up a some stairs to get to the palace. We spotted a few soldiers and quickly hid behind a wall. "Let's find Bumi and get out of here" Katara said. "Where would they be keeping him?" Sokka asked us.