Aftermath

It was the days after Sybil's funeral that Florence found the hardest, at leat she had something to focus on in the build up to it. Florence did't know how she was coping, she was stable but she felt a constant ache for her twin. She would cry herself to sleep practically every night in Tom's arms. Tom knew that there was nothing else her could do but be there for his wife, she needed him now more than ever. Florence spoke at Sybil's funeral, she knew that she needed to for her twin. She spoke of how they had shared a short time together and how she would never forget her twin, at the end of her speech she practically collapsed on the floor and Tom had to run up to get her. The rest of the family were mourning the loss of Sybil and finding it difficult, but nobody compared to Florence. Oscar found comfort in his daughter, Florence and Tom. He didn't know how he would be coping daily if it wasn't for them. Right now the some members of the family were sat in the drawing room. Whereas, Florence, Tom, Matthew and Oscar were sat in the library.

"I know we all sound like parrots, Oscar, but I really would like to help if I can. So would Mary" Matthew tried to offer some comfort to Oscar. However, it didn't really work as Oscar looked up with sadness in his eyes.

"I've a baby I can't look after, my father always needs me in London for my job, I'm with my dead wife's family at her childhood home, my family are all miles away in London and my wife is dead. I'm beyond help, but thank you" Oscar snapped but then gave a small smile to Matthew.

"He didn't mean it, he's just..." Florence was about to apologise for Oscar, however Matthew put up his hand to stop the young woman.

"I understand" nodded Matthew, Florence just nodded.

"I'm so sorry everyone. I really am. But I don't think that I can be here any more, at Downton" Oscar was nearly in tears.

"Well, where would you go?" asked Tom

"Probably back to London. There's no point in me staying anymore, Sybil's not here" explained Oscar

"Please don't feel like you have to go" insisted Florence

"Don't worry, I don't. It's just that everywhere I look I see Sybil" smiled Oscar sadly. Matthew, Florence and Tom nodded as the three of them understood perfectly what Oscar meant.

*****

Florence needed to clear her head and Tom knew that, he could tell that she was getting restless being stuck indoors. So, he suggested that they go for a walk into the village with Alex for a change of scenery. Reluctantly Florence agreed. It wasn't that she didn't want to spend time her her husband and son, it was just that she didn't want people to see her and feel sorry for her. Before Florence knew it she was walking to the village along with Tom, who was pushing Alex in his pram.

"I'm worried about you love" said Tom concerned. Florence turned her head towards her husband and looked at him confused.

"I've just lost my twin. There's nothing that I can do to bring her back" replied Florence sadly. Tom sighed at her response.

"I get that love. But, it's just that you act so strong around everyone else and then to me you're like a completely different person" admitted Tom. Florence wasn't going to argue with Tom as she knew that he was right.

"I'm sorry. I just feel like I have to be strong for everyone. I know that I have my moments but I feel like I need to be strong, I have to be the strong one in the family. Oscar needs me to be" Florence was finally getting everything that she needed to off her chest. "I just feel guilty for leaving and going to Ireland. Of course I don't feel guilty for marrying you, having Alex or making a life in Ireland. I just feel guilty for packing and going the way that we did and just leaving. I should've been here for her wedding". Tom didn't realise that his wife felt like this, he put one arm around her and pushed the pram with the other.