Our Boy

February 1920
*****

It was getting near the end of Florence's pregnancy now and she was getting impatient. She did love being pregnant, Tom loved her being pregnant too, but in the past month Florence felt so tired that she didn't know how she was getting out of bed in the morning. Tom hated seeing his wife like this and was trying his best to help in anyway that he could.

The couple were absolutely terrified of becoming parents, yet they were also excited. Florence had been corresponding with Cora about becoming a mother. Cora had been reassuring her daughter that although it might be a scary situation, it's the best thing that could ever happen.

Whenever Tom was at work Florence wasn't on her own, Tom's mother would visit for lunch every day. She didn't want her daughter-in-law to be on her own, Florence appreciated this and enjoyed the company. It was the weekends though that Florence and Tom loved, they were able to spend a few days together. They never did anything exciting, but they appreciated the time they spent together.

*****
Early March 1920
*****

Baby Branson was due any day and Florence had been put on bed rest. She was more impatient than before, at least before she wasn't confined to her bed. Tom still had to go to work, so the only company that Florence had in the day, besides Tom's mother every lunch time, was books. Not that Florence was complaining. However, most of the time she slept as she felt so drained.

Tom you was due home any minute from work, Florence was eagerly awaiting his return. She had felt pains in her stomach throughout the day, but thought nothing of it. She didn't even tell Tom's mother as she didn't want her to worry. All she wanted was to see her husband and for him to help her bathe, she needed to soothe the pains somehow. Florence was just drifting off, again, when she heard her husband walk through the front door and his footsteps approach the bedroom.

"Hello Love" greeted Tom as he made his way over to his wife and gave her a gentle kiss. Tom was being so delicate with Florence at the moment, he was scared that any thing would cause the baby to come when they wasn't ready to. "Hello Chip". Florence smiled in admiration of her husband, she loved him so much and as much as she missed her family, she knew that marrying Tom was the best decision that she ever made.

The rest of the night was spent catching up on each other's days, even though Florence did nothing exciting, and Tom helping Florence to bathe. Florence kept getting pains occasionally, but she didn't tell Tom as she thought that there was nothing to worry about.

Tom left for work earlier than usual the next day, he had an important meeting with his boss, he had left Florence peacefully sleeping.

Florence awoke with a sudden pain in her stomach, it was much more painful than the ones she was having before; she knew that she was in labour. Florence was on her own and couldn't get anyone for help, however, she didn't worry as she knew that her mother-in-law would be coming around for lunch.

Anxiously, Florence awaited for the arrival of her mother-in-law. The moment that Florence heard the front door open she let out a sigh of relief. Tom's mother thought that it was a regular day and started to get the lunch ready before going to see Florence. Florence knew what her mother-in-law was doing and she also knew that she needed her help, the pains were more frequent now. Before Florence was able to call her mother-in-law she let out a loud cry of pain. Hearing this Tom's mother stopped what she was doing and ran to the bedroom, she was surprised to see Florence sat up clutching her stomach.