Life In Ireland

September 1919
*****

Florence knew that it was Sybil's wedding day in a few weeks, she felt so guilty for missing it. However, Florence knew that the situation couldn't be helped. Life in Ireland was difficult at times, but overall amazing. Tom and Florence were finally able to walk down the street holding hands and just be a normal married couple, plus Florence loved being called Mrs Branson. A few weeks after the wedding Tom had managed to find a little flat for them both. It wasn't big, but it had enough room for the two of them, soon to be three. Florence was pregnant, it was confirmed when she missed another month. Tom had also started at his new job not long after the wedding, he loved it and he finally felt like he was supporting Ireland in its troubles; even if he wasn't making much money. Florence was able to find a job as a nurse at a nearby hospital, she had decided to work until her pregnancy didn't allow her to; which Tom wasn't happy about.

Florence was now three months pregnant and had started to get a little bump. Tom was mesmerised by this, he had never seen anything more beautiful than Florence pregnant with his child. Even though the bump was barely there Tom would talk to it every night and had even gave it the nickname of 'Chip', neither Tom or Florence knew where this nickname came from, it just came out one day when Tom was talking to the bump. It was also on Florence's mind that she should tell her family that she was pregnant.

Florence had received a letter from each family member, even Isobel and Matthew; but not Robert. This hurt Florence, but she knew that he needed time to come to terms with her news and new life.

That morning Florence decided to write her mother a letter telling her the news of her pregnancy, she didn't have to be at the hospital until the afternoon and Tom was just leaving for work.

"Bye Love" said Tom as he kissed his wife goodbye "bye Chip" Tom then kissed Florence's bump goodbye too "I love you both and be careful at work"

"We love you too. Have a good day" Florence said goodbye to her husband then sat down to get the letter started. She didn't know how to start it off. In the end Florence just wrote down everything that came to mind.

*****

That night when Florence arrived home from the hospital Tom had already made dinner. It was something Tom often did if he was home first, it was just an added bonus that he was a good cook.

"I'm home" announced Florence as she walked through the front door and hung her coat up. Tom, who had heard the door open, came to greet his wife.

"Evening Love" greeted Tom as he kissed Florence "evening Chip" Tom then placed a hand on Florence's bump. "How was it at the hospital?"

"The same as usual. Sick patients that needed nursing" chucked Florence

"And how was Chip today?" wondered Tom. Florence had been feeling more nauseous than usual lately and Tom had been worried about them both.

"Fine, still nauseous though. I think that they missed their daddy" replied Florence. Tom laughed at Florence's joke and him and Florence made their way to the dinning table. Tom served dinner as Florence sat down.

"I've got something to confess" announced Florence just before taking a mouthful of food. Tom turned his head slightly in confusion. "I sent a letter to my mother this morning and told her that I'm pregnant"