Return To Downton

"I've no time to talk, but tell them I'm all right. I've got Alex and I'm out of the flat. They haven't stopped me..." started Florence before she saw someone suspicious walk past. Edith had just answered the telephone to discover Florence being ever so strange on the other side.

"Who hasn't stopped you? Florie? Hello?" questioned Edith, she was so confused. She wanted to say more but Florence hung up the phone before she could.

*****

In the entrance hall that evening a strange person was frantically banging at the front door. Robert dismissed it as he thought it might be someone begging for money or refuge for the night, the weather was terrible. But, when Alfred opened the front door it was Tom. He was stood there soaking wet.

"Do you have any luggage, sir?" asked Alfred, he could see that Tom didn't but knew he had to ask.

"I barely have the clothes I stand in" replied Tom as he walked past Alfred and took his hat off. "Where are they?"

"They're in the..." Alfred started to say before Sybil appeared.

"Tom! What's happened? Where's Florie and Alex?" questioned Sybil. She was confused that her brother-in-law had shown up at this time of a night soaking wet, with no luggage and no sign of her twin or nephew.

"I had to get away and leave her to follow with him, but I made all the arrangements in case. She'll be on her way by now" explained Tom

"By why are you here? And why must she follow you alone with Alex?" Sybil was still confused.

"I can explain" said Tom hesitantly

"There's a dinner going on, but I'll go on and tell them that you're here" explained Sybil, Tom grabbed her arm to stop her.

"No. Don't" practically begged Tom. Sybil looked down at her arm, then to her brother-in-law concerned. "No one must know. I'll tell you it all when they're gone"

"What's the matter?" asked Oscar as he entered, he wondered where his wife had gone. Oscar was surprised to find his wife talking to Tom. "Tom!"

"Go upstairs and find some dry clothes of Oscar's. I'll come for you when the coast is clear" explained Sybil. Tom nodded as Oscar then began to lead Tom upstairs.

"Would you please ask Mrs Hughes to sort some food out for him?" Sybil asked Alfred then turned to look at her husband and brother-in-law climb the stairs. She was so confused as to what had just happened.

"Yes, milady" replied Alfred.

*****

It was after dinner and Sybil had just told the family about Tom. They were all shocked to say the least and worried about Florence and Alex. Tom was sat in a chair miserably, it was obvious that he didn't want to be here and that he was worried about his wife and son.

"They turned everyone out of the castle. Lord and Lady Drumgoole, their sons, and all the servants. And then they set fire to it" Tom explained and the family were shocked.

"What a tragedy" said Edith sympathetically

"Well, yes and no. That house was hideous. But of course, that is no excuse" said Violet

"No, it is not" agreed Robert, he was the most worried about his daughter and grandson. He had even shed a tear when Tom said that they were on their own practically on the run.

"But what was your involvement?" questioned Matthew

"Who says I was involved?" answered Tom back

"Well, you seem to know a lot about it if you weren't" responded Mary