Spanish Flu

April 1919

*****

"But why announce it tonight all of a sudden?" asked Mary. All four of the sisters were sat in Mary's bedroom as Mary got ready for dinner.

"We just want to be honest with the family. I love him and I want to marry him one day, when he officially asks of course" explained Sybil. She had invited Oscar to come and announce their relationship to the family. Sybil had also told Mary and Edith as she wanted their support too.

"When I said tell Papa I didn't mean like this" chucked Florence, Sybil just scoffed at her twin.

"Florie just doesn't want you to regret telling Papa this way" reassured Edith. Mary, Edith and Florence were all supportive of Sybil and Oscar, but were worried about Robert's reaction.

"But I am sure! How many times do I have to say it?" questioned Sybil

"At least his father is a Sir. I'm sure Papa will love that. Even if you are marrying an architect and Papa hates it, his family will surely accept you. You won't have to give up your world for him" chucked Mary

"But I'm not giving up my world! If they want to give me up. That's their affair. I'm perfectly happy to carry on being friends with everyone" cried Sybil "I don't think Papa will mind in the end, I think it'll be the shock of Oscar having a normal job"

"Married to an architect?" chucked Mary

"Yes. Anyway, it still sounds good for Granny, even if it is considered a 'normal job'" scoffed Sybil "We're going to tell Papa tonight". Mary, Edith and Florence turned their heads to Sybil in shock.

"We"? You mean, you and Oscar?" asked Edith

"He's coming in after dinner" replied Sybil

"But what will Papa do?" asked Edith again

"I imagine he'll call the police" remarked Mary

"As I said before Sybil, I didn't mean tell Papa like this" said Florence

*****

The family were gathered in the drawing room after dinner. The four sisters were anxiously waiting for the arrival of Oscar. It wasn't long before Oscar had walked through the door and the entire family were staring at him. Florence looked at her twin in disbelief, she couldn't believe that Sybil had actually gone through with it.

"Yes?" asked Robert

"I'm here" announced Oscar. Sybil then got up and walked over to him.

"I don't think this is such a good idea. We mustn't worry Granny" suggested Sybil

"You've asked me to come, and I've come" replied Oscar

"Would someone please tell me what is going on, or have we all stepped through the looking glass?" asked Violet

"Your grandmother has as much right to know as anybody else" responded Oscar

"Why don't I find that reassuring?" remarked Violet

*****

Mary was now stood face to face with Robert.

"What do you mean, "you knew"?"
asked Robert who was annoyed that Oscar had suddenly burst into the room and announced a relationship with one of his youngest daughters.

"I hoped it would blow over. I didn't want to split the family when Sybil might still wake up" explained Mary. She was being a bit dramatic, this wouldn't spilt up the family, not like Florence and Tom anyway.