Edith's Wedding

Tom, Florence and Alex were now back at Downton. They had arrived a few days ago by using some of Violets money, it was lucky that they still had some left. Florence was happy that Tom had agreed to coming back for Edith's wedding as she knew that Edith had been unlucky in love and wanted to show her support to her sister in any way that she could. Currently, Tom was sat in the library with Robert, Cora, Matthew and Oscar, the family were finally civil with him and accepted him, and Florence had just put Alex down along with Mary and Sybil. All of the family loved having Alex around, they would consistently cuddle him whenever they could.

"Molesley's in the hall. He wonders if he might have a word" announced Mary, as her, Sybil and Florence entered the library. Florence saw her husband and went over to sit by him. As soon as she sat down her took a hold of her hand, Florence smiled at her husbands actions.

"How was Alex?" whispered Tom

"Went out like a light" smiled Florence

"Good, he's done more traveling in his short life that I have" joked Tom. This made Florence laugh and for the rest of the family to look at the couple, who had just shared a moment. Robert could see how much they loved each other and was happy that his daughter found someone who loves her, he might not have been at first, but he was now.

"I'll come through in a minute" said Matthew who thought that Molesley wanted to see him.

"Not with you, with Mamma" replied Mary, Matthew looked up from his newspaper in shock.

"Molesley" called Mary. Molesley entered with a smile on his face, however, that soon fell as soon as he saw nearly all of the family looking at him. Florence giggled to herself and Tom, who was holding her hand, smiled at her.

"Your Ladyship, may I have a word?" asked Molesley nervously, Florence felt so sorry him.

"Of course" nodded Cora.

"Milady, might I be allowed to put forward a candidate as Miss O'Brien's replacement?" asked Molesley, he was practically shaking now.

"What?" questioned Cora surprised, Robert also turned around in surprise.

"When the time comes" tried to reason Mr Molesley. Robert walked over as he was interested

"Is O'Brien leaving?" questioned Robert as he had heard nothing about it.

"I hope I've not spoken out of turn. Only, I didn't want to let it go and miss the chance. I thought you knew" explained Mr Molesley

"Of course I know. Thank you, Molesley. I'll be happy to listen to recommendations when, as you say, the time comes" reassured Cora. Florence could tell that her mother was only saying this.

"Thank you, milady" thanked Mr Molesley as he bowed to Cora and left the room.

"Well, I must confess, I will watch her departure with mixed emotions" admitted Robert

"Mine are fairly unmixed" remarked Mary. Tom and Florence turned to each other and smiled in amusement.

"Did you have a clue?" asked Sybil. Oscar looked at his wife and smiled at her curiosity.

"Not a clue. How very disappointing" replied Cora

"But, in a way, it raises the big question: when do we tell the staff that the end is nigh?" wondered Robert

"It makes it sound so final" said Mary.

"I'm afraid it is final" said Robert sadly as he took Cora's hand

"Well, don't spoil Edith's day. Let us get through the wedding first and then tell them afterwards" said Mary

*****