Chapter 27 - Tickets to Colombia

Forty-five minutes after six, Dad is wheeled to the theater for his second operation. After Eric brought us the news that number five is likely the best match for Dad, I literally cried my heart out. My prayers are answered, and so was Mom's.

After the four hours long operation, Dad is put on immunosuppressive medications again just in case any reaction occurs. Eric says Dad has to stay in the hospital for a week for constant monitoring although it's less likely for adverse effects to occur. The fifth kidney is tailored fit for Dad, so to speak, even though there were difficulties during the test, which Eric don't dare to mention anymore.

"Where's your necklace, sweetie?" Dad asks as he notices my empty neck.

My hand touches the bare skin of my neck, and I suddenly remember how I lost it.

"I..." I try to search for the right words. I do not want to tell Dad I lost it after getting drunk and having found myself sleeping in Hunter's place.

"You promise to wear it all the time," Dad says while squeezing my hands.

Should I just tell him I'll get it back from Hunter? I am positive the man has it. It's only that a lot of things happened in the past few days that it slipped off my mind.

"I will, Dad," I reply.

"When am I going home?" he asks.

"Maybe we should ask Eric about it." Mom stands from her chair and walks toward Dad's bed. "We've been here for nine days already."

"I don't think I'll be needing any of these," Dad says as he points to the gadgets and medical stuff attached to him. "I really miss my couch!"

Is it safe to return home?

Hunter Stone's been away for days, and I have no idea whether it is safe for us to return home. There has been no news about Will and his threats, so I think it's safe to assume that all is well now. Nevertheless, I cannot, no matter how I try hard to let go. I wish I could just easily wipe out this sense of obligation I have to pay off the debt. What bothers me most is that no one in here knows where Hunter could be or what could have happened to him. I have asked Paul a dozen times already every time he visits Dad, but I always get nothing from him. "Mr. Stone explicitly instructed me to never disclose information about his whereabouts and activities," he said.

Honestly, I am worried to death.

"Excuse me," I say upon arriving at the nurse's attention. The nurse seems busy writing something, but she quickly attends to me.

"Yes, ma'am, what can I do for you?" Her smile reaches the ends of her lips.

I set both my hands on top of the polished wooden counter and lean forward so I could talk to the nurse more effectively. She's quite short, and I feel that tiptoeing after a hectic day is not an easy job for her.

"Dr. Martin's secretary said I could find Dr. Martin in the ward. I would like to talk to him about Dad's discharge plans," I say.

"Dr. Martin is currently occupied right now, ma'am," she says. "He's seeing a surgical patient in the outpatient department. When he gets back here, I'll tell him you've been looking for him."

"Thank you, Nurse." I am about to turn away from her when my inquisitiveness begins to cross the line again. "Uhm... I would like to ask you a little favor."