Chapter 12 - Harm and Protection

Chapter 12 – Harm and Protection

I will have to meet Ray in Starbucks at nine today because he insisted on accompanying me to Jones-Paulsen, a new law office downtown, but because Mom was ten minutes late in arriving to the hospital, I have to call Ray and tell him I might come late. But this won’t annoy Ray, for sure. He’s been telling me about this cute waiter in Starbucks for days now, and I’m pretty certain entertainment won’t be a question.

“So will I get you Blonde Roast or Flavored Latte?” he asks over the phone.

“Macchiato will be fine, Ray,” I answer while I wait for the traffic lights to turn from green to red, and the walk signal to appear. Starbucks is just down a few blocks from the corner across the street.

“Hot or cold?”

“Caldo.  But might I remind you that I have a 10 o’clock appointment with Jones-Paulsen.

I thought I hear him chuckle.

“I know. Don’t worry Mr. Cute Guy is fine. I have not raked my claws around his neck yet,” he kids.

“And remind me to call Charles,” I counter, my head laughing.

“Angel!”

I could very well imagine Ray pouncing his feet off the ground.

As the walk signal flashes, I quickly cross the pedestrian lane, and directs toward the Maple Street where the coffee shop is.  

“I’ll be there any minute now.”

“Hurry up! I’ve got something to tell you.”

The boutiques in Maple are all on holiday sale, crashing off prices to almost 50%. There’s this simple denim winter coat on display that is roughly $100 which reminds me of how I badly need a new one. However, I have to cut my expenses now due to several unforeseen reasons that have been plaguing me and my family. Perhaps this coat might still be available next winter.

I just shake the enticement off my system and continue walking down the street.

“Where are you now?” asks Ray.

“I’m almost there. I can see you now.” Ray is sitting comfortably near the window with a newspaper on his table. I wave my hand at him and he smiles back as soon as he catches a glance of me.

As I put my cellphone back to my bag, I push the door away from me and come in to the shop. It’s morning and people are jamming Starbucks for late breakfast or for a twenty-minute work break. I find my way to the table near the window, and I see Ray beaming at me.

“We have barely thirty minutes so tell me what you have to say,” I speak while I place my bag on the seat next to me. Once I am settled in, the heat from my cup of Macchiato eases my almost frozen fingers. I just love how it travels smoothly through my skin.

“Here, take a look at this.” He slithers the newspaper on the table towards my direction.

My eyebrow arches as I feel it is something threatening, or something I do not want to hear about right now.  

His lips form a securing smile, and he tells me confidently, “Do not fret; it’s not about him,” followed by a wink. “It’s about Colin.”

“Colin?” Why would Colin be in the newspaper?

My gaze goes straight to the huge picture on the fashion section.

“That is Colin Verne! The chemist who frequents Max’s because of you!” Ray’s finger pointed at the man in a high-fashion editorial photograph of Roberto Cavalli printed kaftan and sleeveless Cubana shirt.