Chapter 25 - Another Attempt

"And what about my parents?" I ask incredulously. My legs crossing each other under the high table of Hunter's dining room. He sits opposite me, at the far end of the table, with his gaze causing all hair on my arms and at the back of my neck stand with fright.

I thought I gave him the hint of my approval, although it was not official. I was just asking a hypothetical question, and yet Hunter Stone seemed to have taken it more than just a grain of salt.

"Let's say I become your pretend lover and have agreed to help you get what you want. What will happen to my parents?" I am afraid Will will direct his attention to them. "How assured are you that you can protect them?"

I am desperate to have Hunter acquiesce on Will despite of what trouble he will face if he acquiesces on the man's demands. Although I can't hide the fact that some part of me is concerned about his safety, and wishes him to not do the thing that he doesn't want to do, but it's my family's protection I must place as a priority. Here I am, very much willing to sacrifice my happiness for them, why should I even show a tinge of concern for this man?

His forehead creases.

There is not much light in the dining room except for the hearth that is freshly lit.

"Name a place you want to hide them. Abroad. Far from here," says he unwaveringly. "I have properties in Europe and in the Latin America. I can show you options if you want."

"And is that an assurance that Will cannot find them?"

"Will will not dare to lay a finger on them or to you when he gets what he wants from he."

My tongue retreats.

"Yes, Angel," he says at once. "If that is what's bothering you. I will succumb to Will's wishes, but you have to do your part of the bargain."

I clench my hands together.

If I say 'yes' now, I don't think retribution would be a consolation later.

He goes on, "Might I suggest Colombia or Costa Rica. I have some properties there which Will does not know about. It will be the two last places on earth he will search through when things get tight."

What does he mean when things get tight?

"I mean George and Sarah will find Colombia or Costa Rica a really nice place to stay at temporarily," he is quick to say.

Well, I am not still sold.

"And after you claim your inheritance, what happens next?" What happens to me? What happens to us?

He straightens his back and leans it against the support of his chair. I see a muscle around his mouth twitches. It seems that Hunter has not thought about our future situation. When all is done, I suppose we're going back to normal, which means I could go back to work, and Dad and Mom would not have to hide in South America, and of course, Hunter will have to stop bothering me.

"Well, Hunter?" I raise an eyebrow. "Will I really have to marry you? Can't we just fake a marriage certificate and present it to your family."

"That is not even an option, Angel?"

Which part? Marriage or the faking of the marriage certificate?

"Then you do intend to marry me? Like in a church? With our families?" my voice heightens.

"Like I said, we are not fooling uneducated and stupid people here."

So I will really have to marry this man and be Mrs. Stone? I thought I was only going to act, play as his lover and trick the people around us that we're madly in love? He said I was going to be his pretend lover? No one mentioned about a real wedding coming.