Chapter 7 - The Beast Out For A Hunt

Chapter 7 – The Beast Out For A Hunt

“McGraddy Publishing?” That serious nonchalant tone in Samuel Evan’s voice gives me more courage to act bold and brazen this time.

“Yes,” I answer as enthusiastically as I could. “I was going just going to take my late breakfast, Mrs. Goble, when I saw you. I see that you have company, I might…”

“No, Ms. Mohr. You can join us,” says Goble, gesturing with her hand the next seat to hers.

“By all means.” I laugh inside my head.

I see Samuel Evans throwing off me hooded looks.

“It’s on me, Ms. Mohr,” states Goble as she calls on for a waiter.

“Oh no, Mrs. Goble, I can have my company pay for my meals.” I take my company credit card out from my bag and hands it over to the waiter. “I’ll have Danish Baked Omelet and Fried Apples. And this…” I point at our table, “… is on me…”

I give Mrs. Goble a wide smile as though I am selling some life insurance on the streets.

“It’s not every day I get to eat withEva Goble.” A few praises, I think, might finally win me Eva Goble. “And it’s not bad to treat a future client, is it?”

“About that, Ms. Mohr.” Suddenly her voice has turned serious. “I would like to hear about your offer. I’m contemplating about a change of environment.” She quickly glances at Samuel with her chin held up high.

“Of course, ma’am!” I could hardly hide my excitement. I continue, “We’ll give you a contract that is tailored after your preferences. We can discuss about the upfront payment and the royalties with my boss, Tessie Thatcher. For the book design, marketing, and advertising, I can assure you that we have just the best team for that.” The only problem here is to what extent is Thatcher willing to concede for Goble’s high demands. They are like two ends of a spectrum racing towards one direction.

“I’ll have to see the contract first. Can you bring it to my apartment tomorrow?”

“Yes, Mrs. Goble!” I almost jump off my seat. “I will definitely do that.”

“What about your contract with us, Mrs. Goble?” Finally, Evans breaks his silence. “You owe us your third book. That is stipulated in the papers.”

“I will pay for the violation.” She shrugs her shoulder as though she has no care about legal matters.

However, as soon as I see Mrs. Goble’s eyes widen with astonishment, I just thought some looming undesirable even is bound to happen. Evan is beaming like there’s no tomorrow.

“So early for business, isn’t it, babe?”

I look over my shoulder, and gasp when my lips froze at the touch of something smooth and warm. My eyes go straight to the dark ones that pierced me right through my soul. In that dark piercing glare, I thought I saw animation. However, it could be my imagination playing on me again.

In an instant, without even thinking twice, I jump off my chair and wish I could disappear in the air.

“What is the meaning of this, Stone?” Goble exclaims with her hands on her hips.

“I’ll handle this, Evans,” says Stone and he makes poor Samuel Evans vanish just like that. “Good morning, Eva.” He takes all the liberty to take the chair beside me.

How on earth did that just happen?

I stand there clueless about how Stone appeared just like that from thin air, then surprising me with that kiss. Or was it my fault that I move my head to my side? But I did not know he was coming or he would do something like that. Oh God! I think it is I to blame!