Chapter 20 - Catch 22

Chapter 20 – Catch 22

But it does not mean an excuse is on the running for Hunter Stone. The man owns me more than explaining. The constant displeasure he has caused me can somehow be forgiven if he straightens his sanity. However the determination to secure me as an accessory for an even greater aim bears bigger culpability, and this he needs to clear on me.

For heaven’s sake! He was going to use me for what? To what extent does he needs his father’s approval? He is his son, why would he need approval; unless he’s being treated unfairly. But Hunter and the mayor seem to go really well. During the auction, they acted like civilized people, and there was no evidence of tension even in the slightest quantity. Nonetheless, the entire time Hunter was interacting with his father, he appeared to be stiff and tensed up, his face forcing the smiles which I have realized now were carefully gauged to be made pleasant for the cameras. Despite the mayor’s really affable smiles, there seemed to be this cold barrier between them. At least, I only felt teeming indifference and detachment from Hunter though.

The door slides open after three quick knocks, and by the time it shows a small opening, I ready myself a possible vendetta from Mary. But it was not her who came in but Paul.

“Mr. Stone is waiting for you in the next room. Please follow me.”

“Paul!”

Before he could turn on his heels, he creases his forehead as though giving me all his attention.

“Mary was here half an hour ago.”

“I am aware of that, Ms. Mohr.”

Slowly, I approach him.

“We slightly clashed,” I say.

“Err—That is exactly the reason he’s going to talk with you now.”

But why in another room? I ask myself.

“Is the mayor with him?”

“Yes,” answers Paul with a brief nod.

If the mayor is with him in the next room, then it is highly possible that Mary could be there as well. Perhaps Mary ran to her husband and told him the biggest slur against me. I could only scratch my head for an upcoming uphill battle for me.

And so I follow Paul behind.

The room is just a few walks from Hunter’s office. When I examine the door intently, I remember we are in the same corridor I trudged along a while ago, and that the door in front of me now might have been one of the doors I happen to have passed by.

“They are waiting for you now, Ms. Mohr.” It is only now that I realize how scary Paul’s voice can become without appearing like a destructive beast. It is threatening that I begin to assume that when I get into the room, I will be castigated badly. If it’s not about my downright insolence fully served to Mary, then it could perhaps be the stingy lie of Hunter and I which the former had decided to put an end to. The mayor and Mary could be furious now that they ask for my presence.

And yet, when I step into the room, I see no one except Hunter who’s got himself immersed on a phone call. When his brooding gaze catches me charily walking towards him, he unhesitatingly put his phone down.

I let out the huge ball of gas out of my system after inspecting the room free of Mary.

“I would like to believe the respite is related with the recent standoff between you and Mary,” he speaks while pouring wine to a crystal goblet.

“Well, she thinks she’s very high and mighty!” my arms crossed against my chest.

“Her pride, though, is something that you’ll get used to. Just don’t make a great deal out of her.” Calmly, he sits on the couch and crosses his legs together, his eyes still on me over the brim of his wine glass. “Sometimes, pride is just a cover. You know what I mean.”