Chapter 15 - Suddenly

Chapter 15 – Suddenly

Dennis Paige, owner of Beetz, stands erectly near the large glass curtain wall inside the conference room, his back greeting Ms. Ross and me as we enter the room painstakingly. How did I know it was Dennis Paige? Well, just when I arrived at the building, I saw how all tensed up the people were. When I asked Dolly, the receptionist, about the sudden tension in the working area, she spoke about the Paige’s unexpected visit.

I clearly remember what Ms. Ross told me yesterday about how clients easily demand for total modifications in a project that is almost done.  I fear Paige is here to do just that. He must have found Colin’s photos underwhelming that is why he has come to address this issue to Ms. Ross. Although, in my opinion, the shots are extremely top notch. Pablo is in the league of his own, hence, I think the photos were greatly taken. I just can’t identify the hate or the censure for them. Perhaps Paige just wants more.

“Good morning, Mr. Paige!” Ms. Ross exclaims with a forced smile on her face. She was shaking the entire time we were approaching the conference room, and this time is no better. I think her tremors have gone worse that she almost trips on her way to making a handshake to the visitor.

“Cut the introduction, Ross!” angrily expresses Dennis as he rejects Ms. Ross’ kind gesture. He moves his way away from us to the divan and easily makes himself comfortable with a sip from his cup of coffee.

Honestly, I have zero idea why Ross dragged me here. I know it’s not my job to accompany her into this type of meetings but I can only guess that I am immaculately at fault for belonging to the group that is responsible for the photos. Of course Donnie and Pablo are the ones in operation but they don’t directly answer to the clients but the people working outside the operations—those people whose duties are enclosed within the four walls of the office, connected with the management and publicity, performing managerial and interpersonal relations with the external world. Unfortunately, although I am new to this, I am the only employee made available for Ross to drag easily, who qualifies to the abovementioned description despite the fact that there are people who are higher than me in the organizational chart.

“We are sort of surprised of your arrival,” says Ross, stuttering.

I stand behind her like a wallflower.

“This is Angel Mohr, our new PA. Sit down, Angel.” She gestures her hand from me toward the vacant area on her left.

I’m not sure if I have to accept the invitation to reprimand but I suppose I should. After all, Ross is my boss and I have to follow her order. And so I sit next beside her with an unsure look on my face. Paige eyes me critically as though I am the first in his list to receive his reproach.

“I believe my secretary has called you this morning,” says he after he shifts his glare from me back to Ms. Ross.

“Yes. I was most surprised, Mr. Paige. We sent the photos yesterday and yet we received no complaints about them not until this morning.”

“Yes, I am aware of that and I apologize for the inconvenience I have caused your team at this early hour. However, it is not until this morning, as you say, that I came to realize that there is something wrong with the photos,” he states.

Immediately, one single thought crosses my mind.

Hunter Stone must have something to do with this.

When I thought I am completely free of him as yesterday ran smoothly without putting up with his immaturity and egocentricity, now is a paradox. I am completely sure he has something to do with this. With his immeasurable connection with so many businesses, I think he had Mr. Paige paid to make MediaOne suffer his wrath, or worse blackmailed him. It just happens that Beetz is not as big has his empire, thus it is natural for poor Mr. Paige to simply get intimidated.