Preview: Chapter 2 - The Devil's Way

“He was here yesterday, you know.” Mom has managed to say while her entire focus is with the dishes. “Again. The hundredth, I think.”

Since that day, I tell myself.

“He’s never tired. How can he do that?” I hear her silently laughed.

But I choose to keep mum. Saying something anything about him might be another decision I might regret. It’s not the time. Not yet.

She turns to me with her hands on her hips, letting water drip on her apron.

“You should talk to him and end this eerie swooning, sweetie. I thought this kind of thing only happens in Nicholas Sparks’ books and Hallmark movies, but I’m witnessing it with my own eyes.”

“What did he say this time, Mom?” Swiveling my legs to the other side of table to let Cairo, Dad’s new cat, occupy the space while he eats his piece of fishbone from last night’s recipe, I thought of asking, though deep inside me I know it’s something with a purpose to touch my ice cold heart.

“This time he said it will be different without you.” Mom’s lips turns into a thin line. I think she doesn’t believe that line. “When you talk to him, tell him to try something new, okay?”

 It’s not like I’ll ever talk to that man again.