Chapter 23 - Chained

"I told you to not leave!" Mom's exasperating face does not surprise me. I just took out an early walk this morning back to our house to check on our things. Hunter did not have to know because when I woke up he has already left for work. There was no Paul and Ray to stop me, even though they were telling me it was dangerous to go out by myself.

Honestly, I do not know these people who are after Hunter Stone.  The man says he's going to keep me and my family safe. But to what extent of danger are we in? The warning stuffs like mom's photo and dad's blood stained shirt spooked me but what if they are just empty threats? What if the people behind this just wants to scare us-Hunter Stone to be specific? I don't really have anything to do with him, hence I should not be scared.

Nonetheless, when I reached our house, I was devastated when I saw it touched and disturbed. It appeared like a storm hit the place, leaving it unlivable for the mean time. Our things were thrown anywhere-the furniture and even the curtains.

"Those men could have done it!" hisses Mom as she buries her face with her palms. Dad walks to her back and starts to massage her nape. I know this situation has lost Mom and Dad the much needed sleep. I am afraid it will not take long before Dad's body will feel the stress. I could only pray that this be solved before the worse happens. I could only lie to them that everything will be fine although me myself has no idea as to what will happen now.

I did not know that this one-time escorting job would lead us to this position. Had I only known, I would have not gone out with Hunter that auction night.

"There's nothing much we can do, is there?" Dad turns to me.

"What did Hunter tell you, Angel?" asks Mom, looking straight to my eyes.

"He said he's going to fix this," I answer. He's after all the reason why we are in this mess. "I don't think it is safe for us to return home. We are lucky we were not there when they came. The neighbors said they did not notice anything suspicious going on last night. It leaves me wondering how these people could wreck our house just like that!"

"George?" Mom's voice cracks.

Right away, I look to where he has fallen to sit, his palms on his forehead.

"Dad?"

Oh no please...

"I am alright." His breathing has become heavy. "I just feel heavy in my head."

"Do you want to rest, George?"

"I think I do, Sarah."

Mom goes up to her feet and assists Dad in walking.

"When was the last time you had your check up, Dad?" I ask.

"The last time I was admitted," he answers with a straight back.

Maybe it's time we visit the hospital again.

In the afternoon of today, I brought Dad to the hospital while Mom goes to the Thompsons to file a temporary leave of absence. We don't know how long we'll we keep up to this hiding lifestyle. My work too has been affected and I don't know if I can manage to keep absences in a rather possible minimum number. I hate to think of losing it because finding a new job seems to be hardest thing to do right now.

All the laboratory work ups are done and Dad is wheeled to the dialysis area. My hunch is right. His creatinine levels has skyrocketed again and Dr. Martin suggests that we keep Dad in the hospital for two days until his blood levels are normalized. Right after his dialysis session, he was wheeled back to his room where he'd stay for the night.