Chapter 2 - The Devil's Way

Chapter 2 – The Devil’s Way

         So I know that turning the television on was not a good idea. Ray had to jump from his seat to reach for the remote from the table on my side. Once he had it on his hands, he quickly shut the power button off, pulled me out of the couch, then dragged me toward the kitchen for a hot choco. He really thought that the hot choco made miracles on me. I was quiet the whole time he was talking about his flight to Alaska through a small plane. He said it was the first time he prayed the rosary 15 times all throughout the flight.

But it was just so hard to just forget what I saw on TV. It was like a hundred needles pricking my nerves in my brain, finding their way into my memory. I have been there. I have done every possible way to stop myself from believing that everything between us will be back to normal. I don’t think second chances are for us. It isn’t just possible. He’s doing all he can to keep my away from him. No matter how I try to push myself to him, he moves away. It will never work. And until today, not even Mom’s butter pancakes and fresh strawberries for breakfast could erase his horrible picture out of my mind.

 “He was here yesterday, you know.” Mom has managed to say while her entire focus is with the dishes. “Again. The hundredth, I think.”

Since that day, I tell myself.

“He’s never tired. How can he do that?” I hear her silently laughed.

But I choose to keep mum. Saying something anything about him might be another decision I might regret. It’s not the time. Not yet.

She turns to me with her hands on her hips, letting water drip on her apron.

“You should talk to him and end this eerie swooning, sweetie. I thought this kind of thing only happens in Nicholas Sparks’ books and Hallmark movies, but I’m witnessing it with my own eyes.”

“What did he say this time, Mom?” Swiveling my legs to the other side of table to let Cairo, Dad’s new cat, occupy the space while he eats his piece of fishbone from last night’s recipe, I thought of asking, though deep inside me I know it’s something with a purpose to touch my ice cold heart.

“This time he said it will be different without you.” Mom’s lips turns into a thin line. I think she doesn’t believe that line. “When you talk to him, tell him to try something new, okay?”

It’s not like I’ll ever talk to that man again.

Dad sneaks into the kitchen to get some salted jelly from the fridge when Mom yells at him.

“I just want something salty!” he reasons out, looking like a three-year old.

“Dr. Martin said no water-retaining foods for now, George! How hard-headed can you be?”

“It’s cheat day today.” He continues to gobble the jelly in seconds, winking at me as though he’s campaigning for support.

“You had your cheat day yesterday, Dad,” I say under my breath.

“Sweetie?” His face quickly goes red.

“Now Angel has good memory, George.” Mom saunters toward Dad in heavy steps and swiftly seizes the jelly out of his grasp.

“Can’t I have two cheat days in a week?”

“Not gonna happen.” And she slaps Dad’s bum and pushes him out of the kitchen to the living room.

My phone suddenly rings. On the line is my boss, Tessie Thatcher.

“Mohr, I want you in my office. Now!”