Epilogue

Breakfast 

One year later...

"UNCLE Gerry, why is mom still asleep?"

We were inside my car. It's a Sunday morning and Saina was still in bed – asleep. I told the kids that we are going to surprise Saina by buying her breakfast. She loves those strawberry souffle Korean pancakes, and that's exactly why the three of us, Joshua who was still in his dinosaur pajamas, Haniel who's wearing his white shirt and gray sweatpants, and I, who was nervous as hell, were inside my car, driving early in the morning to go to that store.

I looked at Haniel from the rear-view mirror. Naghihikab – hikab pa siya habang nakatingin sa labas ng bintana. Si Joshua naman ay nakapikit na sa may tabi ko.

"Is she still working late? Last week she worked so late that when I woke up at three am, she's still at her office."

"She's kind of busy nowadays huh." Komento ko na lamang, para mawala na rin ang kung anumang isipin ko. Tumango si Haniel sa akin. Sa nakalipas na taon ay napakalaki ng pagbabago sa kanila ni Joshua, I remember Saina being so startled one day when the two boys stood beside her and she realized that the kids outgrown her. Mas matangkad na si Haniel at Joshua sa kanya. Kapag naglalakad sa mall, imbes na si Haniel ang humahawak sa Mommy niya ay ang Mommy na niya ang mahigpit ang hawak kay Haniel.

"Yes. I guess the new collection is keeping her awake." Wika kong muli.

"Yeah. I want us to take a vacation, the term is almost over and her work too. If you're not to busy, then maybe the four of us can go somewhere and let Mommy rest for days." Maalalahanin talaga si Haniel pagdating sa Mommy niya, sabagay, napapansin kong ganoon rin siya sa akin at kay Joshua, kung minsan nga lang ay nahihiya siyang ipakita nang husto but I appreciate all his efforts on making me feel welcome and wanted in his life. Hindi naman lingid sa kanilang dalawa ni Joshua kung anong relasyon talaga namin ni Saina, and I sometimes feel like they are both looking after us. They always make sure that we're happy and not fighting.

Saina and I are still learning things about each other and ourselves while in this relationship. Masaya kami sa isa't isa, kaya lang hindi naman maiwasang magkaroon ng di pagkakaunawaan. But the most important thing is that we are happy, we are in love, I love her and I try to tell her everyday how much she means to me because in my vocabulary, that is how love should be.

We arrived at the pancake house. I have decided to eat here with the kids tapos ite-take out na lang ang kay Saina. She needs to rest, she was so tired last night. Sinabi ko naman sa kanya na wala kaming kailangan gawin but she insisted that she missed me all week and the weekends were all that we had, and that she really wanted it. So, I gave in, pero napagod naman si Saina.

"Dito tayo kakain, Pa? Paano si Mommy?" Tanong ni Joshua sa akin. I smiled at them. Naupo na si Haniel, si Joshua ay nakasunod naman sa kaibigan niya.

"Mom is still asleep, dito muna tayo, kakausapin ko rin naman kayong dalawa."

"Luh, Haniel, anong ginawa mo?" Biglang tanong ni Joshua. "Nag-review ako, Papa sa quiz namin sa Math. Mataas naman ang nakuha ko. Anong ginawa mo, Haniel?" Nasa Grade 7 na silang dalawa kaya mas conscious na sila sa pag – aaral.

"I didn't do anything. I got a high score in Math and Science." Naghikab pa si Haniel. "Baka ikaw, kasi diba, nagcha-chat kayo ni Nebraska?"

"Hoy! Napakadaldal mo kamo!"

"H'wag na kayong mag – away na dalawa. What do you two want to eat?" I finally asked them.

"Hot chocolate ang waffles, Papa."