20 - The Fruits Of The Land

This chapter will contain smut

As the night falls down upon us, more and more people arrive to the party. Isaac, Abbi, and I sit comfortably by the fire. We've passed the bottle around to each other about five times. I swish it around in my hand. Nothing is left of the drink. "Damn..." I mutter under my breath. "Ah, don't lose your head," Abbi shrugs. "Lizze will be here to replenish our refreshments yet."

"Unless she's been caught by the Widow!" Isaac says in an eerie voice. I laugh along with Abbi, placing the empty bottle down in front of us. "Abbi lets out a sigh at the end of her laughter. "I doubt that was her fate.. Widow Mary is not a horrible hag as people say," she says. "She helped me when I needed it."
"With what? Why did you need to go to her?" Isaac asks her. "Don't ask," I interject.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look behind me to be greeted by Lizzie, Hannah, and Sarah standing together. Lizzie holds out a handful of berries while smiling mischievously. "Full moon rises," she says.

"About time," Abbi complains, getting up. "It shall be worth your while, Abbi," Lizzie tells her. Isaac and I stand up from the log we're sitting on.
I stumble a bit as my tired legs try and lift me up. Isaac grabs me in his arms. "Stay with us, Winnie," he jokes, letting me go. I stabilize myself as I chuckle at my own mishap.

We form a circle around Lizzie's hand, which holds the berries. "Take one each," she informs as she grabs one berry for herself. I grab one berry delicately and inspect it, rolling it around between my fingers. It looks like any ordinary berry. Dark, round, and small...

I look at Lizzie and she nods her head, chewing. I pop the berry in my mouth and bite down on its sweet flesh. It explodes in my mouth with a flavor I can'tquite describe. Isaac gives a quick glance to me before eating his. Abbi forms a small smile on her mouth as she eats hers. Sarah and Hannah both take one at the same time.
Lizzie pulls her hand away, dropping the stem of the berries on the ground.

"To the fruits of the land," Hannah says to Sarah. They both take their berries in their mouths.

Lightness takes over all of my senses. "Woah," I murmur. I feel light. My mind feels light. Everything around me feels light.
Everyone has left. Where are they? How much time has passed? It panics me a bit, but then I watch Isaac.
He stares at the bonfire. "Isn't the fire so beautiful, Winnie?" he says. I turn to face where he's looking.

The fire blazes on, shimmering its way through the night. Dancing along the wood as it crackles. I've noticed it's beauty before, yet it seems more pretty now. "So beautiful," I agree, taking his hand.

"I love you," I sigh, leaning onto him. "I love you too," he smiles, pulling me closer. I look at my hand. I'm seeing two of them at the same time. I look around me. Everything around me is moving. The ground, the trees, the people, the fire... and I can hear the music playing loudly in my head.
He twirls a strand of my auburn hair with his fingers. He touches gently, careful not to pull on it. I reach my hand up and brush my fingers across his beard. It's a soft and comforting texture to have at my fingertips.

A loud smack interrupts the music. I look over to where the sound came from. Sarah is standing in front of Caleb with Hannah behind her. "There's your kiss," she hisses. "And if you're still so eager..." She points down at the tent in his pants. "I'm sure there's a mule tied up who will overlook your flaws in the dark," she says.
I burst out into laughter along with everyone else as Caleb tries to pull his shirt down to cover his erection. He runs away in embarrassment and shame. Good riddance. Caleb is a creep.

"Run away! Run away!" I taunt as Caleb disappears from view. Isaac holds onto me for stability as he laughs the hardest I have ever heard him laugh. However, he knocks me over and falls on top of me as I hit the ground. "Good heavens, are you alright?" I exclaim, still laughing a bit. "I've had something to break my fall," he smiles, nuzzling into my breast.