28 - The Real Final Battle

The lights shut off. The only thing that illuminates the mall is the black lights and the glow in the dark paint. I hear the bells jingle, indicating that someone or something has opened the door. They're inside the mall with us right now. Here we go...

Kate and I pair up and run for cover behind the Hanging Tree. We watch as the others split up and find cover near the entrance. I slip my sling off of my arm and throw it to the side. What's the worst thing that could happen without it? I pull my stitches? Besides, it will only restrict my movements.

The back doors creak open. Martin and Ziggy exit the back room together, sneaking behind a stand. I swallow nervously, keeping my breathing as quiet as possible. I hear footsteps come closer and closer to us. I turn to Kate. Hesitantly, she peeks her head out to see what's happening.

"Police! Hands up! Hands up!" I tug Kate back down. "The cops," she sharply whispers to me. "Goode isn't with them." I listen to Ziggy and Martin try to explain what's happening. Their voices overlap each other's, not making any coherent sense to me. "Martin?" "Yeah, yeah!" Martin affirms. "Are you kidding me?!" growls the officer.

"Stay down," I mouth to Kate, who nods her head. "Hey, freeze. Freeze!" Another officer finds Deena and Josh. "I got two more over here," he shouts to the other cop.
"Drop your weapon!" They're holding water guns. If he sees that as a weapon, then he should just wait until the killers get here. "Sir, sir, just plese let us explain!" Josh sputters.

Kate wants to get up and help them. I can see the look in her eyes. But she stays still, not moving a muscle. Very carefully, I peek my head out from the side to see what's happening. The officer is calling someone on his radio when suddenly, he's stabbed in the back. His body falls not long after his screaming stops, revealing Harry Rooker. The Milkman.

I cover my mouth to keep myself from gasping out loud. I want to look away, but I can't. Now it's Kate that pulls me back. "Get to the food court. Now!" she orders. I get up to run, but the sounds of gunshots bring me back down as I cover my ears. "Go! Go!" As soon as the gunfire ends, I dash my way to the food court. I climb over the counter of Primo's.

Simon and Sam struggle against their binding, trying to reach me. Their growling and grunting floods my brain with fears and worries. The sound of shoes coming into contact with the floor makes me jump.
"It's just me," whispers Deena. Simon and Sam both seem to struggle even more and roar even louder. She reaches into a duffel bag and pulls out a bottle of cologne. She gives herself multiple sprays and hands me the bottle. I spray myself about twice as many times as she did.

It smells like a boy's locker room, but at least it might cover up Deena and I's scent. "We got this. Keep cool," I whisper to myself. "What?" Deena says. "Nothing. I'm just talking to myself." I peek my head out to see Martin running over to us. He jumps up and slides over the counter, landing on his side. "I... got that crazy guy who killed the cop," he tells us as he winces. "Where's Kate, Josh, and Ziggy?" Deena demands, helping Martin up.

I see two people running right towards us. It's Kate and Josh, holding hands. "Here they are," I tell Deena. Ziggy is right behind them. All of them get behind the counter, staying in cover. "How many is that?" Deena whispers to Josh.
"I got one, Martin got the milkman," he explains. "I got Skull Mask, Ziggy got Nightwing," Kate nods. "Four. We have four," Ziggy adds. "What about Ruby Lane?" I question. Josh shakes his head. "I don't know. Look, we just need to keep an eye on-" "Y-y-yo!" Martin interrupts. We all stop talking. He turns to us gravely.

"Why'd it get so quiet?"

He's right. The sounds of the gates shaking have stopped. Even Simon and Sam have gone totally silent. Everybody peeks over the counter to see what the cause of this is.
We don't see the cause for ourselves, but we all know exactly what it is. "It's him," Ziggy breathes out. "You don't have to do this," Deena reassures. "Yes, I do." Ziggy turns away from us and climbs over the counter.