1 - Shadyside

"Shadyside, small-town America. But among locals, a history of horror has earned itself another nickname. 'Killer Capital USA'. And last night, tragedy struck again," the lady on the news announces. It's yet another massacre at Shadyside. This time it took place at the mall. "I'm here with Sheriff Nick Goode. Sheriff, what can you tell us?" She reaches the microphone to the police officer next to her.

"Why are you watching the news?" Simon walks into the living room with his mouth full of whatever he's calling 'breakfast'. "Why aren't you swallowing your food before talking?" I shoot back, listening carefully to the TV while writing all of the information into my notebook. He sits on the couch next to me.

"There were seven victims, uh, ages sixteen to forty-two. The perpetrator is also deceased," the sheriff says into the microphone. His voice sounds tired, but his face remains awake just for the cameras.
"Yeah, the perpetrator was possessed by the witch," Simon talks over the news. "Anyways, you still babysitting with me and Kate tomorrow?" "Yep," I mumble, still deep in focus.

Just as I scribble the last letter, he snatches the notebook out of my hands. I sigh and roll my eyes. "Why do you even write this shit down?" he asks me, reading what I have written down so far. "In case we have to do a report on it for school," I shrug, grabbing the notebook from him. "You think that our school will make us do a report of its town's violent murders?" Simon laughs. "They make us do reports on other violent murders," I shoot back, a smile curling the corners of my mouth.

"Now, if you're done with breakfast, let's go to school." I say, standing up from the couch. "Fine, fine," he sighs, following after me. "But who's driving?" "Me. I'm never letting you drive," I smile. "Ouch." He puts a pretend pained expression on his face, complete with a hand against his heart.
"You drive like a maniac." I scoff, opening the front door. "It's like you're possessed by the witch every time you get behind the wheel."

"At least Sarah Fier knows a good man when she sees one," he defends, sweeping his hair out of his face. "She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves," he quotes the rhyme made for the witch. "She'll take your blood, she'll take your head," I continue, closing the door behind Simon.

"She'll follow you until you're dead!" We both dramatically finish. We burst out laughing as we make our way to the car.

----

"I have a package in the girls' bathroom that I need to pick up," Simon quickly says as we walk next to the bathrooms. He dashes in there without a care in the world. "Wha- Simon!" I call out, following him. "You dumbass! What if someone's in here?" I exclaim, closing the door behind me.
"There isn't," he says, walking into the middle stall. All four are covered in red spray paint, reciting the same part of the rhyme that me and Simon recited this moring. "Well, what if there was?" I push, rolling my eyes.

"There is!"

I quickly turn behind me. "Ugh, Kate! Don't do that!" I laugh, playfully hitting her on her shoulder. Deena stands next to her, laughing as well. "She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves!" Kate reads in an eerie voice. "She'll take your blood!" Simon yells, making Deena jump. "Simon," she scoffs, backing away to the sinks. "She'll take your head," he continues. "She'll follow you until you're dead!" I finish in my scariest voice possible.

"Wow," Deena sarcastically cheers. "You guys are dicks." "It's just fun," Kate shrugs. "It's sick!" Deena retorts. "What? The dude was wearing a Halloween skull mask! How is that not fun?" Simon says with a wide, dorky smile on his face.

"People died. Heather died," Deena replies in a serious tone. "The 'dude' was just some sad sack who hated his life just like the rest of us, except he decided, 'Hey, why don't I get out of here for good?' And, 'Hey, why don't I take Heather and a couple other mall rats with me?'. There's no angry dead witch who made him go postal. The only thing that made him go crazy is this town!" she rambles, throwing her jacket on the ground afterwards. A painful silence fills the room.

"Are you okay?" I ask, concerned. "I'm fine!" Deena sighs. "Seems like, maybe, you got a little witch in you," Simon jokes, earning chuckles from everybody. "Why are you even in here? This is the girls' bathroom," Deena asks Simon, changing the subject as Simon stands on top of the toilet to pull down his package from the vent.

"Candy store." He smiles, holding the box in his hands. "You know we don't believe this witch shit, right? It's just, like, fucked-up Santa Claus or something," Kate assures as she fixes her ponytail. "Ho, ho, ho!" Simon voices. "Yeah. Besides, Sarah Fier probably wasn't even a witch. Back then, people hung just anyone who they suspected of witchcraft," I add.

Deena pulls out a box from her backpack and shoves it towards Kate. "What's that?" she asks. "I need you to give this to Sam tonight," Deena says. "Yeah, uh-uh, no way," Kate scoffs, pushing the box back towards Deena. "Come on, Kate!" Deena pleads. "I could do it, but you should be the one who does it," I offer.

"I'm not going to the game. I quit band," she says. "Since when?" Kate skeptically questions. "Since who gives a shit!" Deena yells.

"Dee, you have to be the one to give it to her. Stand your ground. Tell her that it really is over," I try to convince. "Plus, we have some stuff that could help you grow a pair and talk to her."
Kate picks up Simon's package and opens it to show all of the pills inside. "What? You're dealing again? I thought you stopped after this dingus's brother OD'd," Deena exclaims.

"Timothy?" Simon says. "Well, Timmy was a real OD. He didn't actually die. They brought him back," Kate explains. Simon imitates a defibrillator for extra effect.

"You're all morons," Deena states. "Which one of us is valedictorian, again? President of every club this shithole has to offer," Kate states, matter-of-factly as we walk out of the bathroom. "And a cheerleader all at the same time," I add. "That, too," Kate smiles. "I'm getting out of here. Off to claim my place among the stars, bitch."

Someone loudly whoops in the hallway. "THE WITCH LIVES! LONG LIVE SARAH FIER!" He gallops across the hall, dragging a dummy on the floor. "Yeah!" Simon cheers.