18 - Full Moon Rises Before Nightfall

"Winifred!" Mother's voice calls from outside. I place my needle and embroidery hoop down on the old rocking chair and walk out the front door.
"Yes, Mother?" I sweetly say. "Why didn't you bring back a water pail?" she asks, placing her hands on her hips. "Oh, I've forgotten about that," I respond, carelessly twirling my hair with my index finger. She lets out an exasperated sigh. "You were supposed to retrieve it hours ago!"

"I was busy cross stitching, mother," I argue. She places her broom down. Now I know I'm in big trouble. "Can't you do a single bloody thing for me? That's all I ask of you!" she yells. "Yes, mother," I sigh. She shoves the pail into my hands and continues to sweep the porch.

I walk along the town, swinging the empty water pail back and forth. "A full moon rises before nightfall," a voice mutters to me. Lizzie. I smile mischievously. "A good night to enjoy the fruits of the land," I respond. "Have you acquired said fruits of the land?" She raises an eyebrow, smiling with me. "I'm acquiring the fruit from the Widow. Are you coming with me?" I shake my head. "I'm merely here to enjoy, not acquire," I say.

I continue on my way until Isaac waves at me and plants down his shovel. My cheeks become hot as I walk up to him.
"A full moon rises before nightfall," he says, quieting his voice enough so that no one else will hear. "A good night to enjoy the fruits of the land," I smile. He looks down at the ground, smirking. "I'll speak with you soon, my love. I need to get to the well," I nervously chuckle, changing the subject. I wave a shy goodbye as Isaac gets back to shoveling manure into a pail.

"Well, well... So you do love Isaac?" I turn around to see Sarah smiling, holding a sack. "That is not to be spoken of aloud!" I scold her playfully. "A full moon rises before nightfall," I whisper. "A good night to enjoy the fruits of the land," she responds. "Are you going to go with him tonight?" "Of course I am," I giggle.

Then I see the children circling around Constance chanting, "Pastor Miller blind as a bat. Pastor Miller blind as a bat. Tried to read the bible and his eyes went splat!" Pastor Miller, who's scraping away at his horse's hooves, turns away from it and faces the children. "Oh, but I can see," he eerily says. "I have eyes in the back of my head!" The children happily scream and scatter about.

"Don't be a brat, Constance!" Constance's older sister, Abbi scolds, grabbing Constance by the arm. "Don't be a shrew, Abigail!" Constance retorts. "Sarah! Winifred!" Abbi chirps, changing her mood entirely. She cautiously looks around her to see if anyone is listening.
"A full moon rises before nightfall," she whispers. "A good night to enjoy the fruits of the land," me and Sarah say in unison. "I'm coming, too." Constance demands. "No you are not!" Abbi protests. "Fine, then I'm telling Mother," Constance threatens. "You tell Mother, I will cut your braids right off your head!" Abbi hisses, storming away and dragging her sister with her as she lectures her even further.

"Where are you off to, Sarah?" I ask, pointing to the bag she's holding in her hand. "Bringing this to Solomon. It's a small piglet." Solomon Goode. He was married to my older sister before she and their son died. Before that, he used to visit often.
Now, he stays all alone in their house. It was a horrible day for all of us, but I've learned how to manage my emotions when memories of her flash before my eyes.

"Aw," I coo. "He'll just love it." Sarah rolls her eyes, still smiling. "I'm not in love with him," she says as she walks away.
"Ah, but Hannah Miller has your eye?" I tease, looking at Hannah sweeping her front porch. A smirk forms on Sarah's face. "Don't say such things so loudly!" She laughs as she continues her walk.

"Go tell her that the moon rises before nightfall," I encourage, nudging her a bit with my elbow. She makes her way to Hannah. I continue my own walk to the well.
I hum quietly to myself as I tie the rope around the handle of the pail. I always wonder why Mother can't fetch the water herself, but then I remember that I am seventeen years old and she wants me to have more "responsibilities". I wish I could tell her that I'm young and I want to live life to the fullest, not worrying about responsibilities.

I glance over to Isaac and smile as I pull the pail back up from the well. I set it down and take a small sip. I deserve it. Untying the pail, I look at Isaac again. This time, he's looking back at me with his sparkling blue eyes. I blush and pick up the pail before I get too lost in those eyes.

Just then, Thomas drunkenly stumbles out of the outhouse. Everyone calls him Mad Thomas because he's always drunk and talking about crazy things. Some people listen, others turn away at the drunk tripping over his own feet.

He looks at Sarah and tells her, "I can see a secret about you, girl." Oh, no. "And a good day to you, Thomas," Sarah says with a polite, but fake smile.
She tries walking away, but he blocks her. "Oh, don't you want to hear it, pretty girl?" He brushes his hand down her cheek. "Good girl..." Sarah is clearly uncomfortable with Mad Tomas touching her, let alone talking to her. I begin walking my way towards them.

"I can see everything. I see all the dark secrets in Union." Sarah scoffs and rolls her eyes at him. "You must be busy," she says and pushes him aside so she can pass.
He suddenly grabs her in his arms, yelling, "I see the darkness in you, girl!"

I hit Thomas with my bucket, spilling some water on the ground and getting him to let go of Sarah.
"You revolting old swill-belly! Leave her be!" I hiss at him. He stumbles and laughs in response. I watch as Sarah nods a quick thank you to me and runs away. "You believe you have the right to speak?" He points a dirt-covered-- at least I hope it's a dirt-covered finger at me. "Your fornication may not stay a secret for much longer," he whispers. My blood boils with anger. Who is he to speak about my life, anyway?

"Don't speak to her like that!" Isaac steps in and puts himself between Thomas and I. "You needn't bother her with your foolish lies." Thomas bursts out into laughter again. "Sinners, sinners," he chants. "The whole lot of you are sinners!"

Sin. That's a tough subject for me. Though I've prayed for forgiveness for my sin many times, I don't think I ever really meant it. I loved the feeling of his bare body close to mine. I feel horrible for it... loosing my purity. Keeping it a secret from Mother. But... I loved it.

Isaac turns me away from Mad Thomas before I can come up with a witty insult. "Always getting into trouble," he says. "Well, the trouble seems to always get into me," I sigh. "I'm staying inside until we can enjoy the fruits of the land."
"I'll see you then, Winnie," he smiles. I love it when Isaac calls me Winnie. He's the only person I'll ever allow to call me that.

And the only person I'll ever allow to touch me the same way he did that night...