13 - Welcome Back

I open my eyes to be laying in a bed. There are tubes injected into my arms, and a steady beeping noise every second or so. It suddenly hits me that I'm in a hospital. But where's Simon, Kate, Deena, Josh, and Sam? Did they make it?

I groan in pain as I try sitting up. How long has it been since the battle at the supermarket? My shoulder is tightly bandaged up, so they at least got me to the hospital on time.

The door loudly creaks open. "Ah, you're awake," A nurse smiles. "What happened? Where am I?" I mumble, my voice creaking with dryness. She scribbles something on her chart before answering. "Sunnyvale Hospital, sweetie. You and your friends were at the store in Shadyside, and a sign fell down from the ceiling and cut into your shoulder pretty bad." Smart story. Thanks, guys.

"The paramedics had to bring you over here since someone killed people at the Shadyside hospital that night." "Is everyone else okay?" I hesitantly ask. "Well, your friends seem very shaken up by the incident. One friend is constantly trying to visit you to make sure you're okay." Classic Simon.

"Can I see him?" A glint of hope beams in my chest. "Yes, of course. He's been waiting in the waiting room for two days." "Two days!?" I sputter. "I've been out for two days?" "You've been in and out of consciousness since the incident, so you must not remember," she tries to calm me down.

"Oh," I say, settling back into the bed. "Well, when can I go home?" "You've been recovering well, so we'll see if we can discharge you today. In the meantime, I'll have your friend come and visit," she smiles with hopefulness in her brown eyes.

A smile twitches on my face. "Simon isn't my friend, he's my boyfriend." "Got it," she laughs. "I'll bring him in." "Thank you," I politely say, leaning my head back into my pillow.

Moments later, none other than Simon Kalivoda himself bursts into the room. "Y/N!" he exclaims, throwing his arms around me. He squeezes me tightly, causing me to hiss in pain. "Sorry! Sorry," he quickly says, releasing his grip. He presses his lips against mine in a passionate kiss.

"Did we break the curse?" I frantically ask as soon as he pulls away. "Yeah! We all made it out alive. Thanks to you." He smiles. I let out a big sigh of relief. "I thought I was gonna lose you," Simon says, his eyes beginning to fill up with tears. "I thought I was gonna lose you too," I chuckle, trying not to cry myself. He presses his forehead to mine, our noses brushing against each other.

"Y/N!!! I came as fast as I could!"

Simon quickly steps away from me. "Mom!" I gasp. "What happened?! Are you okay? How much pain are you in, baby?" My mom frantically asks a million questions before hugging me 100x tighter than Simon did. "Ow, mom! You're hurting me!" I complain as my shoulder stings even more. I look at Simon, who is holding in a few snickers.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, honey! I should've bought those groceries myself!" she cries. Wait, I was supposed to buy groceries?
"It's okay, mom. I'm okay," I sigh. "Alright," she sighs, calming herself down.

A man quietly opens the door. He's wearing a white jacket, so it's safe to assume he's a doctor. "Ma'am, please keep your voice down. There are other patients here, and we're busier since Shadyside Hospital is closed," he politely says, clearly trying his best not to show any annoyance. He enters the room and closes the door behind him. "I'm Dr. Peterson," The doctor greets, shaking my mom's hand firmly.

"I'm Simon," Simon smiles, shaking the doctor's hand. "Y/N has been recovering well, considering how deep the cut was. If you feel like she can be taken home, I'll bring the paperwork right away." "I wanna go home," I whisper to mom. She nods her head sympathetically. "I'll take her home," she says. "Alright then, I'll be right back," Dr. Peterson says, leaving the room to retrieve the paperwork.

Mom holds onto my hand, giving me a sympathetic smile. I think this should be the time to tell her. "So, mom..." I begin. "Yes, sweetie?" "Um... Simon, uh, Simon is my boyfriend, now," I say slowly and awkwardly. Ugh, why do I have to word things in the most awkward way possible?
She raises an eyebrow. She then looks at Simon then back at me. "Why him?" She quietly whispers to me. Simon looks down at the ground and quietly sighs.

"Well, we've been best friends for a long time. Plus, he really cares about me. And he's funny. He always tries to make everyone laugh even at the darkest times. So... Yeah. That's why," Simon gazes at me, awed by what I said about him. He might have thought I was going to laugh, or make a joke, or get mad. But no. I told my mom exactly why I love Simon.

The doctor finally walks in with the paper work for my mom to sign. He politely hands it to her. Mom mutters a "thank you" as she signs her name on it. "She will need to be put on bed rest. Limit movement so the stitches can heal."

----

And just like that, I'm let out with a sling holding my arm in place. It's over. At least, I think so until I see the woman.
She looks as if she has waited all day for my discharge. She looks familiar as if I've seen her on TV before. "She's been out there all day," Simon whispers as if he read my mind. "She's been trying to get an interview with you." I nervously turn to my mom. "We can just run past her," she suggests. "Okay, let's do that," I mumble.

We walk out the door. Immediately, the woman walks up to us, holding her microphone and smiling, "I'm here at the Sunnyvale Hospital and I'm also here with Y/N L/N. Miss Y/N, can you tell us what exactly happened at the Grab N Go at Shadyside?" The camera turns to me and she points her microphone to me. I turn my face away and bury it into Simon's chest as we walk faster to mom's car.

"Miss, do you have any comment about your injury?" I shake my head as the her and the camera follow mom and I. "She's not interested in an interview," Simon coldly says as mom unlocks the car. "Get in, get in." Mom urgently says between her teeth as she climbs into the driver's seat. Simon opens up the back passenger door for me.

"Miss, the paramedics found prescription pills on the scene. Did those medications link to your injury?" She points the microphone right in front of my face right as I'm trying to get inside the car.
Simon smacks the microphone out of the woman's hand and onto the ground. The news reporter's jaw drops open in shock. I quickly take this chance to get into the car and close it. She begins, "Sir! That is property of-"

Simon cuts her off by telling her, "Fuck your property, you stupid bitch." and gives the camera the middle finger before walking off to the other side of the car, getting inside himself.

And just like that, now it's over. I'm free. I'm alive. I'm home. My mom drives straight home puts me straight to bed. She sends Simon to his own home in the process.

"Don't move a muscle. I mean it," she sternly tells me as she smooths out my blanket. "What if I have to go to the bathroom?" I ask. "Will I just have to go in the bed?"
Mom sighs and rolls her eyes. "Yes, you can move to go to the bathroom, or get snacks, or to answer the phone..." She stops and thinks about what she said.

"Actually," she muses. "I'll just bring the telephone in here so you won't have to move so much when you answer it." I frantically nod in agreement.

She walks out of my room to retrieve the phone. She grabs it from the hallway and places it on my nightstand. "Okay. I got the phone for you. Is there anything else you need before I leave for work?" she asks me. I shake my head. She smiles and kisses my forehead. "I'll see you later, then." She waves goodbye and closes my bedroom door.

I wait for the sound of her car exiting the driveway before I pick up the phone and dial a number.

The dial tone rings three times until someone picks up. "Yello?" The other voice on the line says. "Green," I chuckle. Simon truly is a wonder. "Oh, hey, Y/N! What do you require from me, my dear lady?" he asks. "I require my dear lord to come over to my house and hang out with me. Bring some nail polish."