25 - Back To 1994

My eyes return to focus. I'm back at the woods. My hand rests on top of the hand bone where it always was. My fingernails are still pained F/C, my hair is H/C, I'm still wearing my clothes, my right arm is still in a sling... I'm back.

Did... Did that just happen?! I turn to Deena, who's looking all around her. "You saw that, right?" I whisper. "It was him," she mutters under her breath. "What?" "It was Solomon Goode. He was the one who made the deal with the Devil," she explains, turning her head to me with her eyes wide open.

My jaw drops. So that means... "Nick Goode... he's the bad guy? Wait, but- how do you-" "You were a different person, right?" "Yeah... I was Winifred Watkins... her sister was married to Solomon," I say, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. "I was Sarah Fier," she gravely says.
A siren goes off in the distance, interrupting Deena. "Sheriff Goode," Deena whispers. "Kate and Josh are still out there." "Fuck! How long were we down here?!" I exclaim, standing up as fast as I can.

I run up the hill with Deena following behind me. The sheriff is already here, shining his flashlight in Kate and Josh's eyes. "Josh! Kate!" Deena shouts out for the both of them.
She grabs Josh by the arm as I grab Kate. We dash down the hill and into the woods. We run for a while until we find a big tree to hide behind. Josh begins to protest, "What the hell-" but Deena quickly shushes him. "It's him," she whispers.

"Josh, Kate," Nick calls out. "Deena and Y/N are very confused." "His dad and his grandpa and his great grandpa," Deena continues. "What?" Kate questions. "They're clearly suffering from some kind of a... a breakdown. They need help. Josh? Kate?" Nick calls. My heart beats hard and fast against my chest. His voice is getting louder as he gets closer and closer to us.

"Goode is evil..."

"Fuck..." Kate whispers. "We can't stay here forever. He'll find us." "Steal his car." The words leave my mouth before I even have a chance to think. Josh silently nods in agreement.
Kate takes a deep breath and leads the way. Deena stays behind, however. I turn around. "What are you doing?" I sharply whisper to her. She's untying her shoes and slipping them off of her feet. "Distracting him," she informs. "Go."

I sigh, reluctant to leave her behind. I follow Kate and Josh up the hill. I look behind me and see Deena rushing up the hill. "Give me the keys!" Kate tosses Nick's car keys into her hand and opens the back passenger door. I climb into the seat next to her and fasten my seatbelt. "Don't just sit there! Drive!"

Deena slams her foot on the gas pedal the moment Josh gets in the front passenger seat.
"Okay, since we're not hiding from officer evil, tell us what the hell is going on," Kate demands. "I was back in time. I was Sarah Fier and Sarah Fier was innocent. She isn't turning people from Shadyside into killers. She wasn't a witch," Deena says. I look behind me to see if we're being followed. Once I see that nobody is there, I turn back around.

"We have a 5150 in possession of car 961. Suspects are on their way." The radio is telling us and the other officers exactly what we have done.
"Listen to me!" Deena orders. "Solomon Goode-" "Who?" Kate and Josh both ask in unison. "Nick Goode's pilgrim ancestor-- he made a deal with the Devil and framed Sarah to cover his own Puritan ass." A red street light glows brightly.

"Deena! Red light!" I yell. She slams on the breaks for just a second and the car slows down just a bit. "Goode gives a name to the Devil, the Devil takes over that person. Then that person kills and murders. And the Devil feeds on this blood of dead Shadysiders," Deena describes. "And Goode gets whatever he wants. He becomes sheriff, his brother becomes mayor. All of Sunnyvale gets better and better." Her words become sharper as anger builds up.

"And Shadyside doesn't..." Kate says. "It all makes sense now. Why we're always the ones to be dumped on and everyone from Sunnyvale is handed everything on a silver platter." "And the Goodes do it over and over, again and again. One Goode from every generation passing down the evil. Solomon... Solomon's son... firstborn to firstborn. Right to today. Right to Sheriff Nick Goode."

My jaw tightens with anger. Suddenly, every bit of rage left in me is directed towards Nick Goode. "He's the reason Simon and Sam are posessed. Did he say both of their names at once or something?" I ask Deena.
She looks at me, swallows hard, and gravely nods her head. "He sacrificed animals for that. Two baby goats. So that the Devil would take two people at the same time," she spits. How sickening can a person be? To kill animals and some kids at the same time... I can't even imagine.

"So- so, Sarah Fier--" Josh begins. "He framed her," Deena repeats. "She's the only one who's ever figured out the truth. Until us." "And the killers came after us to keep us from uncovering it," he says. "Yes, to protect Goode's deal with the Devil," she confirms. "But... but, Deena?" "Yeah, Josh?"
"If the killers were after us before, now that we know the truth, now that we know about Nick's deal... what happens now?" Josh asks, gravely.

"Well, we have to tell Ziggy first of all," Kate says. "She has to know the truth about Nick."