4 - Babysitter's Worst Nightmare

A day later, I'm babysitting the twins with Kate and Simon at Kate's house. Well, Kate and I are doing the babysitting part. Simon is just in the living room watching Jaws while I separate the dirty clothes.

"No, no, it's fine, Simon. I would much rather do this by myself!" I sarcastically say as I place my blood-covered shirt from yesterday into a pile. "What's in it for me again?" Simon says, paying attention to the TV. "Is it so much to ask for? Kate will walk in any minute now and tell you that you need to contribute," I scoff.

"Come on, Simon! Y/N can't be the only one separating the clothes!" Kate pipes up as she walks into the living room. "See?" I smugly tell Simon. "Ugh, fine!" Simon sighs, jumping off of the couch. He unzips his red hoodie, revealing his bloody shirt from the night of the memorial.
"Jesus! Are you still wearing the clothes from last night?" Kate exclaims. "Did you wear that to work?" I add as he pulls his jacket off. "I had to work a double shift and this was all I had in the car. So, yes. Yes, I did," he explains, putting the jacket on the coffee table. Kate's pager loudly beeps. She reads it and walks away saying, "That's disgusting. You're disgusting."

I walk into the dining to check on the kids. "What?!" I exclaim as soon as I see the pills on the table. "Did Kate give these to you?" I demand. "She told us not to eat them," One of the girls shrugs. "Well, still, she should not be giving this shi- stuff to you two," I say, beginning to grab up the pills. "Hey, if they're not eating them, they're okay," Simon says behind me.

I look at him and see that he's not wearing his shirt. "Wha- Where's your shirt?" I sputter, placing the pills back on the dining table. "On the couch," he shrugs and grabs a hand full of popcorn and places it in his mouth, crunching loudly. I try to keep my gaze away from him. Staring at Simon shirtless while babysitting is the last way I want to confess to him.
"You know you love it!" he sings. "Yep. I do," I sigh quietly. Did I just say that?! It just slipped out of my mouth... Ugh, I'm such a dumbass. I hope he thinks I'm just joking around.

"Jesus! Put something on!" Kate orders, placing her hand on the dining table. Thank you, Kate! "What? Make up your mind, woman!" Simon says with his mouth full of popcorn.

A loud crash echoes through the house. Glass. My window. "Stay here," Kate quickly says. The twins nod their head in unison. I quietly make my way to the living room with Simon and Kate following after me.

A couple more sounds of glass shattering start, and then follow up with complete silence. "Oh, god," I whisper. "Maybe this isn't a good idea!" Simon whispers loudly. Me and Kate shush him. I turn the corner and see a dark figure rummaging through the dirty clothes.
"Hey, creeper! What the f..." she begins, but trails off when she sees the dark figure's skull mask. Simon pulls both of us back into the hallway. "Are you crazy?!" he whispers with fear behind his voice. "It's just that Sunnyvale asshole," Kate brushes off. "How do you know?!" I whisper, panicking on the inside and out. She ignores my question and turns back into the living room...

Only the costumed person isn't there anymore.

"What the hell?!" I say, tears forming in my eyes. Before I can cry, I see Simon's bloody shirt laying on the couch. Simon quickly grabs his shirt and feels the new holes in them. "Someone broke into the fucking house!" I yell, rubbing my temples. "He's gone," Simon, says putting his shirt back on.

"What if he comes back?!" Kate says. "What's going on?" One of the twins say. "Alright, don't freak out. But we're going to take you two to Mrs. Lane's house." Kate says calmly.

----

Kate knocks on the front door to Mrs. Lane's house while me and Simon stay behind. The door slowly opens with Mrs. Lane's lightly wrinkled face in the doorframe.
"Hi, Mrs. Lane. Um, we have to run a couple of errands, so could you please watch the girls for us?" Kate politely asks. "Oh, sure," Mrs. Lane says. "Thank you so much," Kate sighs. "Oh, no. I'm so happy to have the company," Mrs. Lane smiles. Kate leads the twins inside the house. "You're a lifesaver, Mrs. Lane." Kate thanks. "I used to be a nurse," Mrs. Lane adds.

Mrs. Lane looks at Simon and me. Simon is swaying on his feet a bit and my hands are slightly shaking. "Are you sure everything's okay?" she cautiously asks. Simon quickly zips up his jacket, covering up the blood stains. "Totally!" Kate assures. "I just have to run out really quickly and get some stuff."

"Oh. Alright, then," Mrs. Lane skeptically says. "Well, go ahead and get what you need. I'll be right here watching the girls." "Bye, Mrs. Lane." Kate forces a smile as Mrs. Lane closes the door.

She turns to us, immediately dropping her smile. "Alright. We're going to Deena's. She said that she saw him creeping around her house also," Kate announces to me and Simon. "How does that guy even know where we live?!" I panic, biting at my nails. "I don't know!" Is all Kate can say. "But I do know that Deena saw him, so we're going to her house right now." She begins to walk across the street. Me and Simon follow after her.

"So, we're just leaving the twins there for the rest of the night?" I question. "I. Don't. Know," Kate says, raising her voice. I back off, realizing how my questions are annoying her. "Chill out, Kate," Simon says, seemingly unbothered by the person breaking into Kate's house. Kate sighs, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm just so freaked out by this whole thing." "It's okay. I was panicking too much," I mumble.

"And you have every right to be panicked," Kate tells me with sincerity in her dark brown eyes. "You think they have some food over there? I'm starving," Simon chimes in. "Not the time!" Kate scoffs.