16 - C. Berman

Deena drives up to a lonely looking house. I look down at the paper I'm holding in my hand. It has the address written in neat letters across the page. It's C. Berman's house, alright. "The lights are off. I don't think she's home," I say cautiously. "She wasn't home when we called, so maybe she's not home now." "She has to be home. She's our only hope of bringing Sam and Simon back," Josh argues.
I feel a thump coming from the trunk of the car. I wince at the sounds of growling and kicking.

Deena steps out of the car and straps on a headlight. "I'll knock on her door. If she doesn't answer, I'm breaking in," Deena declares. Kate, Josh, and I stare at her, incredulous. "That's a horrible idea," Kate says. Deena ignores her and slams the door shut. Josh quickly jumps out of the car and follows Deena. "They're going to get shot," Kate sighs, leaning back in her seat and placing a palm on her forehead.

I look through the window and see Deena knocking at C. Berman's door at a rapid rate. No answer. She tries opening the door herself. Locked. She peeks through the mail slot and turns on her headlight. She scans the inside for any signs of C. Berman. They both split up and search on different sides of the house.

Another kick to the back of me and Kate's seats. "God, I can't handle this," I exclaim, unbuckling my seatbelt. Kate nods and unbuckles as well. We both exit the car. "I'm sorry, I just..." "You don't need to be sorry," Kate assures.

Three figures emerge from the corner of my eye. I turn my head. Deena, Josh, and the woman I can only assume is C. Berman march up to the car. C. Berman has a tense look on her face, telling us everything about how Deena and Josh got to her.
"I told you not to break into her house," Kate scoffs, rolling her eyes at Deena.

"Not the time, Kate," Deena says as she leads C. Berman to the trunk. She opens up the trunk and reveals a tied up Sam and Simon. Snarling and struggling against their restraints. C. Berman gasps at the sight and immediately yells, "No! No, no, no!"
My heart sinks. "You all need to leave! You need to leave right now! You have no idea what you are doing!" She begins to walk away but Deena and I run up to her and block her.

"Yeah, exactly," Deena says. "You are the only person who knows what we're dealing with." "I don't want those things near me. Now get that car and 'those' off of my property!" C. Berman demands and tries walking away again. "Those 'things' have names! Sam and Simon!" I speak up. "We all could've died and showed up on the news, but you called us back." She sighs and argues, "I can't help you with this!"

"You are our last chance!" Deena declares. "The witch-" "No, I'm sorry!" C. Berman cuts her off and tries walking past us, but Deena and I persist. "My boyfriend is possessed and so is her girlfriend, but you saw Sarah Fier and survived it," I say with tears brimming my eyes. "What was different? Please. Maybe something happened to you, something that can help us stop her," Deena pleads.
"There's not! You can't stop her!" C. Berman tells us. "Run. Far as you can, fast as you can! That's your only chance." She tries pushing in between Deena and I once more, but we still don't let her.

"We can't just run!" Deena yells. "Look, Sam-- I can't let her die. I won't! And And we can't let Simon die, either." C. Berman's expression softens a bit. "I love her." "And I love Simon," I add. "Please!" She stares at us for a moment. Then she closes her eyes.
"Just... keep them away from Major Tom," she says, walking back to her house.

----

Josh and Deena tie Sam up to the radiator in the bathroom while Kate and I do the same for Simon. Both of them kick, grunt, and snarl at us. It's almost too much for me to handle, but we get them secured and unable to escape.
"Can I have a minute?" I ask C. Berman. She silently nods. I step out of the bathroom and out of the house. I close the front door behind me.

I place my face in my hands and begin to cry. "Dammit," I whisper to myself. Tears begin to drip down into my hands. Why Simon? He didn't bleed on the witch's bones. Why, why, why? Why is this happening to us? Why can't we just be normal teenagers? Why us? Shaky sobs escape my throat as I pace around the patio.

Stop crying, stop crying, stop crying. We need to save Sam and Simon. Think of happy moments. Happy moments...

"Simon?" "Yeah?" he said. "You have ketchup on your face," I chuckled, motioning towards his cheek. We had just eaten burgers and we were lounging around at his house and watching a movie with Deena, Kate and Sam.
Simon tried wiping the ketchup away, but he kept missing the spot.

Kate tried giving him directions on where to wipe, but failed miserably. Deena and Sam were basically ignoring us, holding hands and cuddling with each other. After about one full minute of him trying to get the ketchup off of his face, he finally said, "Ugh, Y/N, just lick it off of me at this point!"

I gave him a cheeky smile, grabbed his chin and gave the corner of his mouth a long and obnoxious lick. I did it as a joke, but Simon's cheeks turned a light pink. When we all realized what I had just did... we both bursting out in laughter. Then Deena and Sam started laughing. Then Kate started laughing.. We laughed until our stomachs were sore.

I laugh at the happy memory and wipe my tears away. I take a deep breath. Now is not the time to cry. Now is the time to save Simon.
I step back into the house and walk back into the living room where C. Berman is sitting in her chair. Kate, Josh, and Deena are sitting on the ground in front of her, listening to her story.

I sit down next to Kate and loom up at C. Berman. She flips through a book of all of the memories and relics relating to the Camp Nightwing Massacre until she reaches one picture. "This was July 12th. The summer of 1978," she states as she breathes shakily. "The first day of camp." She picks up the picture and stares at it longingly.

Then she throws it on the ground for us to see. "A week later, my sister was dead."