6-BITTER PAST

OMNISCIENT

Zafeer came back smiling widely but frowned as soon as he passed the gates of the palace. He had never felt so exhilarated in his life before, it was the happiest he had been in fifteen years and he knew that. He drove past the guards and parked his car in the garage, when he got down, it was as if he had never smiled in his life before, his eyes showed no emotion.

"Your Highness, The King called for you," A palace guard knelt in front of Zafeer, his head bowed down as a symbol of respect for The Crown Prince.

"Why is that man trying so hard to ruin my mood?" Zafeer angrily thought before nodding his head, he didn't even get to enter his chamber before the fleet of cars pulled up and circled the water fountain. He internally groaned before entering the black Bentley and the cars zoomed off to the emperor's chamber which was a good fifteen minutes drive from the North wing.

When they arrived, the palace guards started singing praises of him as usual. Thankfully, he was dressed in a royal blue kaftan and not English wears, he would have been scolded by his mother for not dressing like the aristocrat he is.

"His Highness, The Crown Prince Zafeer, is coming inside now," A palace guard announced, just as Zafeer removed his black Gucci cover shoes and stepped inside the king's living room.

King Harith Baghdad, as usual, was surrounded by many people dressed in different colours of royal wear, the Minister and Galadima, Haroon Baghdad, was seated beside the king followed by other officials who were sitting in accordance.

"Welcome, future king," They bowed respectfully before he took the second biggest royal seat, beside the king.

With a raise of Harith's right hand, all the people in the room exited, leaving only the father and his son.

"His Majesty called for me," Zafeer broke the silence with a strained voice.

"What day is tomorrow?" Harith asked, Zafeer resisted the urge to roll his eyes before answering.

"Monday, Your Highness," He answered.

"Good. As the Crown Prince, you have to start acting like that. I have given you enough time to rest as it is, get ready because tomorrow, you will start acting like the heir you are. The coronation that will officially make you the Crown Prince will be held tomorrow, the decision has already been made," Harith didn't dare to look at his son, he knew he was too harsh on him but he had to be. If he were to die before the coronation, Haroon Baghdad would be the one to inherit the throne because none of the princes were officially crowned.

"But Your Majesty, I have to meet with the therapist tomorrow," Zafeer tried to form plausible excuses but he knew nothing would work, both the father and son were strong-headed.

"Your session with the therapist is only an hour or two. Immediately after you come back, there will be a durbar held especially for you as per tradition. Is there anything more you want to say?" Harith asked his son who was too furious to speak.

Zafeer clenched and unclenched his fists in anger, his knuckles turned white and his nose was in a deep shade of red, he knew this man would ruin his day, but he never thought it would be to that extent. First, he had to dress in those sophisticated royal clothes and round the streets of Kano on horseback then come back for the real ceremony to begin, not only that, he now has limited time. The stress was too much for him, which is why he loves Saudi Arabia more, nothing like that would have happened if he stayed back.