𝟙𝟞

Two weeks later

It had been a week since Kazutora's court trial. It didn't even last the whole 7 days as he admitted to all charges against him. Akira found out that Kazutora was manipulated by Hanma into killing Baji because he was tricked into believing that Baji had betrayed him, even though he was the only one to stay by his side. Baji's funeral also happened the week before. I decided to attend it, but from afar. We obviously weren't very close but I appreciated him for what he has done. This time, it was my turn to fulfill the promise.

I was standing outside the visiting room where I was supposed to see Kazutora. An ache pushed against my heart. I thought, 'Is this the right thing to do?'. My brain was just replaying the scenario in which Baji had asked me to look after Kazutora. At one point I even thought that this was not worth it.

I wasn't even close with Baji so why should I fulfill the promise? Kazutora is mentally unstable, so why should I get involved with someone like him?

I brushed away those thoughts and decided to just do it. I opened the door, revealing Kazutora behind the glass. I felt a sudden wave of sadness seeing him like that.

"You don't have to visit me because of Baji."

Kazutora sighed as soon as I stepped into the room. He had a lingering sadness in his eyes.

"I'm not doing this for him..."

I paused and exchanged eye contact with Kazutora.

"Well, maybe I am, but there is also another reason...I figured out you may need a friend."

I watched his eyes widen.

"Am I your friend?"

His voice was heavy with emotion.

"Why are you even asking? Didn't you already say we were friends?"

I chuckled, due to the atmosphere being awkward.

"Let me rephrase it, am I worth enough to be your friend?"

I gulped nervously hearing the question he had asked me.

"Yeah."

I nodded. Kazutora's fingers went through his hair before he sighed.

"I took the thing most precious to me and destroyed it. I don't want to do the same to you."

He stared in my eyes for a few seconds but I kept avoiding his gaze. My mind was full of thoughts. I hated the silence, it tended to make me uncomfortable and anxious. There were a bunch of things happening at the same time. The clock was ticking in an annoying and loud way. Out in the streets people were walking freely, cars were driving by, a horn or a siren could be heard in the distance. People were entering the prison, visiting their loved ones. Their laughter and cries were heard, filling the room.

"You're an idiot."

I broke the silence much to his surprise.

"Huh?"

I looked into his face and noticed his raised brows and slack expression.

"Nobody deserves to be alone. The mistakes you made cannot be atoned unless you strive to be a better person. You don't deserve to go through all of this alone. I will help you and support you."

His lips turned into a small smile hearing my words, but he tried to hide it by lowering his head.