𝟚𝟜

After Kazutora had found a secret passage in what was supposed to be a safe house, the two of you suddenly found yourselves hiding in it. The secret passage was beneath the floor and had ladders so you could climb down. It was a narrow tunnel and you did not know where it could lead.

"Let's just hide here until they leave."

He was still holding your hand firmly.

"What do you think, where does-"

His hand was suddenly covering your mouth as you later realized you spoke too loudly. Kazutora signaled you to whisper instead and pointed a finger towards the top. Sounds of several people walking through the house were heard.

"What do you think, where does this lead?"

You whispered and at the same time tried to figure out what was going on upstairs.

"Probably somewhere in the woods, but it's better if we don't find out, it could be a trap."

He came closer to you and whispered in your ear. Right after his words, an unknown voice was heard from upstairs, making both of you pause and listen to it.

"They're not here for fucks sake!"

With little and soundproof steps you managed to approach the ladders so you could hear what was going on.

"That bastard Watanabe tricked us."

You turned your head in Kazutora's direction, only to see him raising his eyebrows, then later giving you a 'I told you so' look. Your brain hadn't really processed what you just heard so you felt numb. After it clicked, you felt as if you were the one who did something bad. You felt betrayed. One of your closest friends, the person with whom you grew up with, you trusted, had deceived you. When you really started thinking about it, it was obvious from the start.

You had remembered Akira's words from 10 years ago.

"I don't really trust Watanabe."

That moment just kept on replaying in your head. Akira was right from the start, he tried to warn you and look where that got him. That also got you wondering, whether it was true, what Watanabe told you about Akira's death.

FLASHBACK 1 YEAR AGO

You urgently made your way towards the hospital when Watanabe delivered you the news that Akira got injured in a fight, but thankfully survived. He didn't mention any details of what had happened whatsoever; you assumed it was because of Bonten.

You rushed into Akira's room holding a bunch of flowers for him. His mom was already there by his bed, sobbing, so you decided to wait outside and not to interrupt.

After about 10 minutes his mom left the room and you decided to walk inside. You were a bit taken aback when you saw Akira's condition. He had scars on his face and his head was bandaged. You already heard from the doctors that he also got shot in the leg. When he noticed you his expression got blank.

"Excuse me, I think you entered the wrong room."

You were startled by that sentence so you chuckled.

"Those jokes don't work on me, asshole."

You placed the flowers on the table and noticed a frown on his face. He kept quiet and you remembered the doctors didn't mention any signs of memory loss.

"Akira, I'm your best friend, so cut the crap."

You took a seat on the bed next to him but he immediately moved away from you. Your heart sank seeing him do that.

"Do you not remember me?"

You awkwardly chuckled, holding back tears.

"No..."

He shook his head and you pulled out your phone showing him your lock screen; it was a picture of him and you during high school.

"I'm sorry, but I don't remember you."

You held back tears and got up from the bed, about to leave the room. You looked back at Akira who kept quiet and stared at your direction. After a few seconds when you already opened the door, he told you to stop.

"Could you please let me know your name?"

You closed the door and sat on the chair next to the bed.

"It's Y/N...We've been best friends since middle school."

He sighed hearing your words.

"I'm sorry..."

He kept on apologizing and tears rolled down your face. You never thought it would end up this way.

"Akira, do you remember who did this to you?"

You wiped the tears away and watched his eyebrows frown.

"I don't remember his name but...I know what he looked like; he had short blonde hair and I think he was on the shorter side."

Your suspicions got confirmed hearing his description. It had to be Mikey and Bonten.

"Anything else?"

He shook his head. You didn't want to jump into conclusions but he was the only one who could've done something like that.

The nurse had entered the room and told you to wait outside since Akira needed to get a lot of rest. You were about to sit in front of his room but you decided to go out to get some fresh air instead. What you didn't know was that you would later regret leaving the hospital.

After being outside for about half an hour, you managed to go see Akira once again, before you left. As soon as you came inside, the hospital was a mess. Doctors were running around accompanied by the nurses. You noticed they were running inside of Akiras room.

"Is everything okay?"

You stopped one of the nurses and asked worriedly. She kept on looking at the room's direction and sighed before speaking up.

"Someone stabbed him."

She watched your eyes widen in shock and quickly entered the room. You were standing outside, with no knowledge whether he was fine or not. You just stared at the door with widened eyes waiting for someone to come out and say he was going to be okay. That feeling felt like the world was breaking down as you were in a total paralysis, not even being able to move. You were urgently waiting to find out what was going on inside but no one was coming in and out for a few minutes. Even if you kept banging on the door, there was no response.

About a minute later, the door opened, revealing the doctors. Seeing their facial expressions, you knew this would not end up well.

"Is he okay?"

You knew the answer before they even said it.

"I'm sorry, we did everything we could.."

Your body instantly fell into a state of shock. You felt numb and just walked away from the doctors, feeling nothing at all. You started walking towards the balcony where you stood earlier, but it felt like a whole eternity to get there. As soon as you managed to breathe in some fresh air, you fell to your knees, feeling like you lost a place in this world because you lost Akira. You felt like being cut in two and losing a part of yourself. It seemed so unfair and cruel.

It was supposed to be his birthday tomorrow.

That thought absolutely broke you. Empty streets were now filled with your screams. Even though you felt so devastated, no tears came out.

"Fuck you Akira!"

You started violently kicking a trash can and repeatedly stepped on it.

"You fucking asshole!"

You didn't even notice the tears streaming down your face with the speed of light.

"Why did you fucking leave me?!"

You stopped kicking the trash can noticing you had hurt your leg, yet you felt no pain. The only pain you felt came from the inside and it was absolutely destroying you.