Twenty-four

A few hours later

Doffy's side

He's lying by her side silently, stroking her face without a word. The long fingers running over the soft skin over and over again, she smiles in her sleep.

What a woman you are.

-Dowly, can you hear me? -he whispers, but no answer comes. The man sighs deeply and carefully pulls out his arm from under her body. When she shivers, Doffy lours and kisses her forehead gently.

Sleep.

He frowns for a second when his heart beats with a strange resonance that he never knew existed, as he watches her face.

I wonder if she can feel it when looking inside me.

I wish she can.

Doflamingo stands up and runs his hand over his blond hair, looking at her for one more second. The golden eyes find the deep wounds on her back.

Some may leave a scar, because of me. Because I can't control myself.

Love?

It makes me dangerous. It makes me confused.

It makes me something that I never was, someone who I never could be.

I thought those times passed away when I was able to make sacrifices for other people.

And now, I...

-Where are you going, Doffy?

He thrills at first, but by the time he turns around, the usual smirk spreads on his lips.

-Away from you, woman.

She scoffs and sits up, rubbing her eyes.

She's so beautiful.

-What's wrong?

-I can't sleep, Dowly. Let me be.

-Nightmares? -she scowls, scratching her nape. -I thought you-

-Don't worry. -rolls Doffy his eyes, leaning down to her. He pinches her chin to make her look up, then looks at her lips and kisses her slowly. -You're my one and only nightmare.

-You have to work on your pickup lines.

-They're working, aren't they? And my natural charm is enough to pick you up anyway.

-And your natural height.

-And my natural height. -he grins, biting her earlobe playfully. -I'm going out for some fresh air.

-I'll go with you. -she yawns.

-You're like sticking plaster.

-For your poor bleeding heart, yes. Exactly.

Doffy groans and lets her go.

-I'm just getting some fresh air, you can sleep. -he repeats.

-And what if I'll be the one to have bad dreams?

The man stops and takes off his coat, handing it over to her. His heart leaps again as she hugs it and inhales the scent.

-Thanks, pinkie.

He huffs loudly in frustration and she looks up again.

-Doffy.

-What now?

-Tell me if I can do anything.

The man stops for a second at the door.

-Keep living in warmth, Dowly.