chapter sixteen

"so harry, do you go to louis' college?" jay asks from across the table, taking a bite of her food from off a fork.

"mum, this isn't a fucking police interrogation."

"uh, yeah i do." harry says as louis shakes his head next to him. "i started this year."

"you missed the first year?" jay questions.

"well, i moved here in february and started then. i did the first year at a different college." harry explains, and louis just watches his lips, and the way his eyes move when he talks to her.

"ah, okay." she nods, taking another bite. "how come you moved mid-year?"

"mum!" louis exclaims, pulling his arms up, "he might not want to answer that!" he says, yet can't help himself be a bit curious as to why he didn't see harry two years after what happened.

"it's fine," harry looks to him laughing, then back to johannah. "my mum and i just needed a change," he explains as louis keeps his eyes on him, "our old house wasn't the best so we got a new one and did a lot of work on it."

"and your dad?"

"mum, you're so nosy." louis cuts in, before turning to harry. "you don't have to answer that."

"it's fine," he says again, turning back to her. "my parents aren't together, he lives abroad."

"see louis?" jay says, cutting her food. "it's okay to be open about things. i would never have forced him to tell me anything."

"he's still under pressure though, you're preying on him like a fucking eagle."

"that's not my intention." jay says, "i just want to understand him. it's not like i'm going to judge him for his family situation, you don't even have a father in your own life, louis."

"why do you need to understand him anyway? you never do this to anyone else." louis defends.

"because i'm going to be fully involved in your life now, you've left me no choice."

"mum—"

"if you can prove to me i can trust you, i will forgive you for all the shit you've done."

louis looks to harry, who's silent and chewing on his bottom lip. harry meets their eyes and smiles slightly, giving louis a quick nod.

louis exhales loudly, "okay." he says, looking back to her.

"so," she says, exhaling loudly and smiling, "how did you two become friends then? louis isn't much of a people's person so you must have done something." she laughs to harry, who glances quickly at louis, smirking.

"we're in the same drama group, mum." louis responds before harry can, "simple as that."

"we're performing in a play together, louis has been great." harry adds, and louis looks to him, squinting his eyes at his last comment.

"he always has been a bit of a performer." jay says, smiling.

"it'll be great to show it in london." harry says, "i'm so excited for it."

louis shuts his eyes tightly, exhaling loudly.

"louis?" his mum questions, "you're performing in london?"

"we are." he responds, opening his eyes slowly.

get ready for the scolding in three, two, one.

"why didn't you tell me?!" jay exclaims with a wide open-mouthed smile, "that's great!"

louis stops, shocked he's not being shouted at. he can't help but smile at his mum's excitement. "i'm really nervous." he says, and jay gets out her seat with a smile, walking around the table to her boy who she leans down to, bringing him into a hug.