chapter twenty three

"harry!! stop!"

louis escapes through the front door, breathing heavily into the cold air. the sky is dark by now, the street being mainly empty except for groups of friends drunkenly laughing together on their way to clubs.

louis holds his head in stress, stepping backwards and looking left to right in attempt to see harry. he begins walking down to the right, quickly looking around to spot him. he walks to the end, turning at a corner. louis stops.

harry is leant against the brick wall, his body rarely visible in the low light. he's not alone; a tall man stood next to him. louis squints his eyes. the man next to harry flicks a lighter, lighting the cigarette between harry's lips, then harry thanks him, and the man walks off.

louis fists clench. he sternly walks up to harry who starts taking a drags, coughing the smoke out.

"what do you think you're doing?"

harry coughs out some more smoke into his hand, then looks down to louis with a screwed up face.

"leave me alone, louis." he goes to take the cigarette back to his lips but louis grabs on to it, quickly throwing it to the ground and stomping on it, before looking back up to harry angrily.

"you're not doing that."

harry scoffs. "so you're allowed to fuck yourself up, but god forbid i do the same?"

"precisely." louis replies quickly, and harry shakes his head.

"you're such a hypocrite."

"no i'm not. i'm thinking logically for once. i'm not letting you do what i do to myself."

"are you even listening to yourself?" harry exclaims, "you wanted me to take your stupid fucking pills."

"i'm sorry, okay? i just thought you wanted to break the rules with me and didn't think. but i thought that was just a one time thing. wasn't it?"

"how does that make a difference?"

louis scoffs. "because i'm not letting you get addicted to shit and watch you slowly kill yourself, harry!"

"well you're too late to that one, louis."

louis stops. he stares at harry. "what did you just say?"

"want to know why i'm such a mood killer, louis?" harry brings his finger up to him, "read the fucking articles." he drops his hand, then leans back against the wall, exhaling.

louis' face screws up, confused about what harry means. "what articles?" he asks, his voice softer.

harry scoffs a little. "the articles louis. why i'm such a fucking coward and a drug hater."

louis steps forward, shaking his head in confusion. "harry what are you—"

"just look for yourself, louis." harry says, pulling away from louis and the wall. "i'm going back to the hotel." he begins walking off.

"harry you can't—"

"i'll get a taxi, don't worry." he stuffs his hands into his pockets and walks off, looking down to his shoes. he walks all the way to the end of the road, disappearing behind a corner.

and louis lets him.

he exhales loudly, shaking his head not knowing what to do. louis pulls out his phone from his jean back pocket, unlocking it quickly and clicking on the internet app. with shaking fingers he types in 'harry styles articles,' still confused.

the phone loads and louis clicks on the first news article that pops up. he reads.

'richard styles, professional swimming coach arrested for abusing his son, who was set to swim in the olympics in later years.'