chapter twenty

"you stay safe okay? and call me."

louis nudges his mother's arm away, pulling his suitcase out the door. "yeah, yeah."

"and don't get yourself into trouble."

he stops, turning to face her in the doorway. "mum."

"i'm sorry, lou. just give me a hug."

louis steps up, pulling jay into a hug that she holds on to tightly, like louis will never return from london. even though he definitely can't breathe, louis pulls her in just as tight, just so she knows how much he actually cares.

when johannah pulls away, she looks over louis' head, holding his shoulders. "hi harry!" she calls, and louis sighs happily, turning around.

and there he is, sat in the front of his car with the windows rolled down, waving to jay. he then looks at louis with a satisfied grin on his face. dark sunglasses cover his eyes and he has a toothpick between his teeth that he keeps fiddling with using his tongue.

jay pats louis' shoulders as he's observing him. "good luck, yeah? and i'll see you two soon."

he turns to her, trying to ignore harry but it's making him smile. "bye, mum." he kisses her on the cheek and she smiles, stepping further inside and shutting the door as louis turns around again.

he starts walking towards the car with his suitcase, just as harry turns down the music. he keeps fiddling with the toothpick between his lips, his left arm around the passenger seat as he stares out the window through his sunglasses, smirking.

louis puts his suitcase in the boot, then walks back around and opens the car door, sitting down before closing it behind him. he turns to face harry, who's still grinning away.

"you look like a twat."

harry bites down on the toothpick, making it point up. "what i look like is danny zuko."

louis scoffs, laughing actually. he looks to harry, lifting his arm and taking out the toothpick from his teeth. he keeps his eyes on harry, then spins it around, placing it in his own mouth, letting his lips wrap around it.

louis turns his head forward and leans back on the chair. "please," he says, "danny zuko wishes he was you."

harry laughs, shocked. he lifts the sunglasses up on to his head. "wow."

louis looks back to him. "what?"

"i think that is the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

louis purses his lips around the toothpick, rolling his eyes. "just drive, styles."

harry laughs through his teeth, turning the key in the ignition for the engine to start. he pulls the sunglasses back over his eyes to shield them from the sun, then pulls away from louis' house on the way to college.

"so are you excited?" he asks after a minute or so.

"for what?" louis asks like the question wasn't obvious.

"you know... performing our piece?"

"fucking nervous, more like."