chapter twelve

"finally out of that boiling room." louis exhales when he escapes the back door of another one of niall's parties, zayn following after him.

they sit at a wooden table that is outside for some reason, still carrying everything they had inside and stumbling a bit when they sit down, finally relaxing.

zayn slumps into his seat. "you've been busy." he says, taking a gulp from the bottle in his hands, passing the bong to louis who continues to flick his lighter at the end and put his mouth to it.

louis keeps the smoke in his mouth for a second then inhales as much as he can, the remains puffing out when he says, "getting revenge is fucking tiring."

"looks like he's starting to get under your skin." zayn laughs, "priceless."

"he's not getting under my skin." louis defends, passing the bong back to zayn.

"did your mum freak?"

"she's still not talking to me."

zayn laughs, fully amused with the fact harry snapped back at louis and gave him a taste of his own medicine. "you and harry would get on like a house on fire if you didn't fucking hate the bastard."

"we wouldn't." louis groans, taking back some of his bottle. "he's just so confusing. it pisses me off."

"it's not very hard to piss you off."

"can't he just hate me?" louis replies, "it would make my life so much easier."

"how come?" zayn puts his lips to the bong, inhaling and blowing the smoke out above him.

"because then he never would've talked to me, and i wouldn't have gotten to know him and actually start to not mind the kid's company."

zayn's mouth opens in a shocked smile. he shakes his head and looks to the ground. "who would've thought... louis actually likes harry styles."

"i do not like him." louis groans, convincing himself for the tenth time this week. "pass me back the bong."

zayn does so for louis to inhale the smoke again. when he exhales he looks up to the sky above him, thinking. "we're just so alike." he says, "it's kind of scary."

"you do get along," zayn replies, "i've seen it."

louis groans loudly, agitated. zayn sits up in his seat, leaning closer to him and laughing slightly at his reaction. "it's not a bad thing to like him, you know."

"yes it is." louis shakes his head, remembering the reason why he dislikes harry in the first place. "he's a horrible person. i hate him. i have to hate him."

"yeah but... do you actually hate him or are you just convincing yourself you do?"

louis stops, eyes meeting with zayn's. he exhales loudly, "i hate that you're smart, that's what i hate." he states, rolling his eyes.

"you hate what he did, but not who he is." zayn says as louis takes in the accurate words. he grabs the bong back from louis, then shrugs. "i reckon you should just ask him about it."

louis looks to him quickly, shaking his head. "i can't do that, zayn."

"well it's better than making his life a living hell."

"debatable." louis mutters.

"honestly louis, i don't think you mean that." zayn says, "the day he was round yours, after that party. you were so happy in the morning... i haven't seen you like that in a while."

"what are you saying?"

"he makes you happier than you realise, louis." zayn says with a small smile, then looks down.