fly with me

-riley-

"I am so excited, Maya. Aren't you excited? I'm so excited."

Our grade 10 class was selected to go to California for spring break, and I was more than psyched to go.

"Riley, we're just going on a week long trip." She doesn't even look up from her sketchbook while she speaks to me.

"Yeah! But we're going on a plane, Maya! I've never been on a plane before." I wave my hand in front of her face to get her attention.

"We'll only be on the plane for six hours, Riley." She catches my hand and looks at me and places it away from her face.

"Still, I'm thrilled. I'm excited. I'm anxious." I get up from my seat and jump around her.

"Okay, little miss dictionary, stop jumping around. Other passengers will think you're a whack-job."

"Fine." I sit back down and check my phone.

"Ladies.." Farkle walks towards us with Lucas by his side.

"Farkle." We say at the same time and Maya finally looks up from her sketchbook.

"Hey, Ranger Rick, you excited for the trip?" Lucas -or Ranger Rick- is technically my ex. We still have feelings for each other, but we decided it'd be best not to be together just yet. So, it's been kind of awkward between us for the past, I don't know, three years?

"Yeah, Other One, I am. What about you Riley?"

"Huh? Yeah I am. Farkle?" I smiled at him and quickly reverted the conversation to Farkle, so I wouldn't have to look at him for too long.

"Yeah, definitely. But I heard we aren't allowed to pick who we're sitting with. Who do you think you'll be paired up with?"

"No clue. Just hope it isn't anyone obnoxious." Maya looks back down at her sketchbook.

They sit beside me and wait for us to get called to board the plane.

I was playing a game when my phone vibrates to tell me I have a message.

Lucas: "I hope I sit beside you."

I look up at him beside me and elbow him and smile to hint that I feel the same.

"Class." We all get called to be paired up for our seats on the plane.

"....Mr. Friar and Miss Matthews, Miss Hart and Mr. Minkus, ...."

"How did I know?" Lucas slightly elbows me and smirks.

"Ms. Brooks always pairs everyone up boy and girl. And she always pairs from the top and bottom of the class list. Actually, we're always paired up in her class."

"I guess it's a lucky guess." He shrugs and smiles. He brings my luggage as well as his own after we get called to board the plane.

"You know, I can carry my own bag, right?"

"Yes, Riley. But I carried it for you anyway."

We got to our seats and he gestures toward the window seat and put our luggage into the compartment, then sat down beside me.

"This is my first time on a plane, Lucas. Are planes scary?"

"No, Riley. You'll be fine. Plus, you'll have me if you ever get scared."

"Mhm, okay Lucas."

We buckled up and the plane started moving. I held Lucas' hand by impulse and he held back and squeezed.

-lucas-

We slowly flew and I could feel Riley's hand relax with mine.

"Riley-"

As I was about to tell her something, her head falls on my shoulder, asleep.

I chuckle at her and carefully fix her neck position and lean more towards her. I found it amusing how excited she was about her first plane ride, and now she's asleep. I can smell her strawberry scented shampoo in her hair that's on my shoulder. It's a smell I've came to know and love for 4 years now, but I still haven't gotten sick of it.

The stewardess comes around and asks if I want something to drink, "and would you like to get something for your girlfriend as well? In case she wakes up?"

I smile at her and just ask for two waters. I pull down the small table for Riley to place her drink on. As I'm doing so, she moves her arm in her sleep, almost knocking over the drink. Of course, even in her sleep, she's still a clutz.

"Hey, Cowboy Hat, you know, she won't wake up if you just stare at her all day." Maya looks at us through the middle of her and Farkle's seat in front of us.

"I'm admiring her."

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Wait for her for this long. You see her everyday and you know what you feel about each other. How do you resist her?"

"I promised her that I'll wait until she's ready. I'll wait as long as I need to."

"I think she's ready. She's liked you since she first laid eyes on you. She's just scared."

"I know. That's why I'm trying to gain her trust. I want her to know that I'll never hurt her. That isn't even a thought that comes to mind."

"I hope so. She's lucky to have you, Soaring Eagle."

"Thanks. She's lucky to have you too, Mockingbird."

-riley-

I smiled to myself, hearing it all as I woke up.